Sign in to follow this  
Toastie

Pattern Making

Well I just got my first kit and and banged up the kitchen table testing the different stamps. Then I got to thinking about making patterns for different items and wondering how to do it. At work i am a mechanical designer so I am pretty familiar with the cad programs so I decided to whip one up and see what people think.I am not sure on the dimensions, such as holes for rivets or how far to space them apart to fold them over

I attached it as a pdf, if anyone wants to make it or give me any feedback

Key Fob.pdf

Thanks for sharing!

There is a market for the right patterns, but it would require a deep investment that may end up flattening out for you. I would suggest that you make a pattern or two and try putting up for sale. You seem educated, but please remember that once your pattern hits the internet, it will be open to be copied. I believe you would spend most of your time chasing the copiers than making patterns. But if you are up to a challenge......go for it.

Best of luck!

So it is better if I print the pattern out and mail them.

For larger patterns do you usually get a life sized drawing of them or does a pattern just give a general dimension. An example is I can draw up plans for a set of leg chaps, but would the plans have a scaled down drawing or would it be better to get a full size print made

Well I just got my first kit and and banged up the kitchen table testing the different stamps. Then I got to thinking about making patterns for different items and wondering how to do it. At work i am a mechanical designer so I am pretty familiar with the cad programs so I decided to whip one up and see what people think.I am not sure on the dimensions, such as holes for rivets or how far to space them apart to fold them over

I attached it as a pdf, if anyone wants to make it or give me any feedback

You're the person I asked for a few months ago. I was hoping there was someone with CAD skills who could take the Tandy designs and clean them up. They're basically sketched right now, with the holes spaces pretty near evenly. Pretty near until you start to line up two pieces of leather, that is. I have the Tandy Hat Pack 2062 in PDF, if you'd like to give it a shot? I'm sure that once you got the basic design in CAD you could create some interesting variations and new styles out of that raw material.

2062.zip

For someone artistically challenged as I. I like my patterns to be life size, but I know that this may not be always possible. A cut line pattern would work where the user can connect A to A and B to B, if you get what I am trying to convene. I have patterns or ideas that I have drawn up on a piece of paper, but since i have to see a life size, I have not tackled it. If I have it has failed for me. I know, I know. But for me, I am totally a kinetically type of person. I was give a full CAD program, but that is another area that I lack abilities. I could not get the program even with with some hands on instruction. I ended up returning the program.

I wish you luck though. I hope it works out because in the US, we definitely lack up to date patterns for all kinds of personal items minus chaps, bracers, etc.

Just took a quick look and the hardest part of redoing that pattern is getting the curves right, going from a oval cylinder to a 2d object is a pain

I can resize the top in a few keystrokes to make it taller or shorter.

If I get time this weekend I will see if I can create a pattern that is as good as the Tandy ones

I looked at the holes and I think I can line them up. The pattern seems to be using 25/6" spacing which is probably closer to 3/8"

Just took a quick look and the hardest part of redoing that pattern is getting the curves right, going from a oval cylinder to a 2d object is a pain

I can resize the top in a few keystrokes to make it taller or shorter.

If I get time this weekend I will see if I can create a pattern that is as good as the Tandy ones

I looked at the holes and I think I can line them up. The pattern seems to be using 25/6" spacing which is probably closer to 3/8"

I can get you any measurements you need off the hardcopies.