I decided to try making a belt pouch/case to hold my zippo. I put this one together this evening (3 hours including drying) just to see how I like the design, so forgive the sloppiness of the edges and all. I was just going for a proof of concept initially. That's why I used soft leather for the front piece, so I wouldn't have to case and form it for this prototype.

In case you're wondering, I used medium cap rivets and glue to secure the bottom strap against the inside back after skiving it down to allow the lighter to slip in/out. I used the same to secure the top strap to the outside back under the over-folded belt loop. Despite trying my new embossing wheel I got for my overstitch wheel, I was kind of rushing myself. I'm thinking of making another in black using the same pattern and more time/effort.

Before I do, I'd like to know what some of you think of the design, so I took some pics of multiple angles. Any suggestions to improve the function, shape, and/or would be appreciated.

Also, how in the heck do you dress/burnish the edges on curves like the front piece has and what do you do when the leather is too soft to work the edges?

d34cff89.jpg

213cb3e8.jpg

4753f33e.jpg

786d1ce5.jpg

I am no expert, but I would have to say that it turned out pretty nice.

Very nice design. There have been several good Zippo cases on the forum in the past few years but this is one of the best I've seen so far. RDB makes a nice one too...

Keep posting the pictures!

Ray

Very nice design. There have been several good Zippo cases on the forum in the past few years but this is one of the best I've seen so far. RDB makes a nice one too...

Keep posting the pictures!

Ray

Thanks Ray, I never did make another. This one is working out pretty good despite being a little sloppy.

The thing I like the most is being able to push the lighter up from either corner instead of a cutout in the middle (which, btw, is harder to sew). Worse yet is the ones w/ closed bottoms, since you're pulling it out by the lid each time. That's gotta do some wear and tear to the hinges.

Anyway, thanks for taking time to look and for your kind words.

nice job indeed!

it s never "easy" to make nice wee pouch like that

;)

Good design I would recommend putting some Feibings edge kote on it but over all looks great keep posting the pictures!

That's great case to hold zippo. If the thread (sewing) change to the leather's colour, that's will be perfact.

That's great case to hold zippo. If the thread (sewing) change to the leather's colour, that's will be perfact.

Thanks for taking time to look.

It probably wouldn't be hard to dye your thread with the same color as you dye your leather. I wonder how well thread holds/keeps dye compared to leather. Maybe someone more experienced will jump in and answer that.

To be honest, I haven't tried. For my personal taste, I like the contrast of a white or black thread on a brownish leather item.

Thanks for taking time to look.

It probably wouldn't be hard to dye your thread with the same color as you dye your leather. I wonder how well thread holds/keeps dye compared to leather. Maybe someone more experienced will jump in and answer that.

To be honest, I haven't tried. For my personal taste, I like the contrast of a white or black thread on a brownish leather item.

Yes, the white and black thread is great for brownish leather item. you design is great i like it.

I also have messenger bags that made of brownish PU. you can take a look at it.

The thing I like the most is being able to push the lighter up from either corner instead of a cutout in the middle

That's the very first thing I noticed about your design. I like that feature! Looks like this Zippo pouch is very functional.