WyomingSlick

Oldest Stamps I Have

Some pics of the oldest stamps I have, one FK Russell shader and 2 McMillens; #80 and #211 I believe.

Very cool, thanks for sharing.

I've got a couple of those McMillen meander stamps. My wife didn't know it was supposed to be a border and started playing with it a few years ago. She came up with a geometric pattern that is pretty cool. It is one of our most requested patterns for ladies leather stuff - purses, checkbooks, etc. I have attached a picture of an early checkbook with it.

post-29-003840300 1308359926_thumb.jpg

Here is a few that I have collected over the years. Some are McMillen, the large vnr is Eberley and the large flower at the bottom is a Sonnen Schinez. I left the pic size alone hope it is not to big

post-9374-008444600 1308369224_thumb.jpg

Any kind of identifying mark on the Eberly? I have some of the McMillens you do. One of the guys I bought some stamps from remarked on one "you know, I think this one might be an Eberly". It just sort of went over my head at the time and I never have pursued it since. You kind of raised my curiosotu level again here.

I am not sure how old these are but I have never heard of Osborne stamping tools before. Only the one is marked, but the other is so similar that I am certain that it is also an Osborne.

post-130-026858400 1308435809_thumb.jpg

Can anyone tell me how old these may be?

Gesa

Gesa, I have quite a number of tools that look almost identical to your Osborne stamps. They were made by Dryad in the UK, possibly in the 1920s and 30s. I would guess that yours could be a similar age.

I'm extremely envious of leatherworkers in the US with access to those amazing old stamps. All my 'antique' stamps tend to be very small.

Ray

Hi Ray

When I was very young these stamps were all we had. I recently purchased several on Ebay just to remind me. Saddlers here used to think nothing of getting their Wives to Stamp Saddle Flaps (cut from Cheap Shoulders) with concentric patterns they were designed for. This firmed up the Leather and surprisingly, these "pretty" Saddles sometimes outlasted expensive ones. Labour was cheap then!

We also made Stamps from old Bolts, using Files to make designs in many shapes. As Labour got dearer, this disapeared.

Kindest Regards.

Jim Saddler.

Gesa, I have quite a number of tools that look almost identical to your Osborne stamps. They were made by Dryad in the UK, possibly in the 1920s and 30s. I would guess that yours could be a similar age.

I'm extremely envious of leatherworkers in the US with access to those amazing old stamps. All my 'antique' stamps tend to be very small.

Ray

Here is a few that I have collected over the years. Some are McMillen, the large vnr is Eberley and the large flower at the bottom is a Sonnen Schinez. I left the pic size alone hope it is not to big

"Sonnen Schinez" ?????? New name to me. When I first looked at the large flower I thought it was a F.K. Russel stamp but when I checked, the Sonnen has a much larger center pod.

So what can you tell us about this maker?

"Sonnen Schinez" ?????? New name to me. When I first looked at the large flower I thought it was a F.K. Russel stamp but when I checked, the Sonnen has a much larger center pod.

So what can you tell us about this maker?

Can't find anything on line about the maker and have asked every one I know and have came up with nothing.

Can't find anything on line about the maker and have asked every one I know and have came up with nothing.

Me too. So where did you come up with the name? Is it marked on the stamp?

Me too. So where did you come up with the name? Is it marked on the stamp?

Yes on the side of the shank. I have looked at few other stamps made by them but they were not for sale. The owner didn't know anything about them. He is 87 and they were old when he picked them up in the late 40s.

Yes on the side of the shank. I have looked at few other stamps made by them but they were not for sale. The owner didn't know anything about them. He is 87 and they were old when he picked them up in the late 40s.

I got a reply from one of the people I asked about the SS tool name. He said he had a couple of embossing rolls made by them. and he believes they were mainly involved in making tools for the book leather embossing profession. Were the other Sonnen Shinez tools you saw all of this type,ie, flowers, geometrics, etc??

Here is a F.K. RUSSELL saddle stamp found in a brick hollow wall-in Marlow Oklahoma main street in 1965. Stamp states W.M SMITH -MAKER- MARLOW I.T. The IT is for Indian Territory, Also has F.K. RUSSELL DALLAS TX on the side.post-25060-003773900 1316896850_thumb.jp

Wow I appreciate the photos of these old stamps Gesa and CGleather! It gives me some ideas for stamps I could possibly make. Thanks!

Wow those are cool!!!!!!! There are some real cool ones in that box of tricks you have there!!!!!!!

Hello,

Does anyone have any of the stamps that appear to have handles made by a blacksmith? I've bought quite a few on Ebay over the last few years. The stamp itself looks to be brass or bronze and i assume the handles are iron. Thanks.

Hello,

Does anyone have any of the stamps that appear to have handles made by a blacksmith? I've bought quite a few on Ebay over the last few years. The stamp itself looks to be brass or bronze and i assume the handles iron. Thanks. 404935083.jpg