Sign in to follow this  
R Petersen

Would This Diluting Product Work With Fiebings Institutional Leather Dye?

Hi all,

I have a quick question which I hope you can help me with. I have a bottle of Fiebings institutional leather dye, blue: The tests I have done shows that it is very dark in colour, so I'd like to dilute it. The problem is that my leather shop (pretty much the only leather shop in the country, so I can't just find another) only has one diluting product, which is of their own brand, and I can understand from searching that you use different diluters for different kinds of dye. Now, they don't have a description of this product, only a picture, where you can just make out the text. It's in danish, so I'll try and translate:

"Leather dye diluter: Fast to light. For all colouring methods. Can be polished blank. Recommendated for colouring of natural leather, shoes etc. Good for recolouring"

Does anyone have a clue whether this is useable with the institutional brand of dye? I'd guess yes, but I'm very unsure, and I don't want to risk using the wrong product. I have written to the shop and asked, but they're a tad slow to answer, and I need to order soon if I want it before the weekend.

Edited by R Petersen

Is your dye oil or spirit based?

Natalie

Is your dye oil or spirit based?

Natalie

"Institutional" dyes tend to be water-based, because of the likelihood of the participants trying to drink the dyes, either by accident or by design (hospital/rehab patients, children, inmates, among others within institutional settings...)Why don't you try a small bit with water to see if it actually does weaken the color. That would be the obvious first step.

I had a few minutes so I checked the http://fiebing.com website... the Institutional dyes ARE water-based AND non-flammable, so go ahead & use water to dilute.

(when in doubt, ALWAYS go to the source!)

Thank you very much for the help! I appreciate you taking your time to check it - I'll bookmark that site for future use.

Hi,

I have recently used Institutional Dye for the first time and achieved excellent results by diluting heavily with water about 3 water to one dye.

The I repeatedly dyed the are concerned and got to the final colour required. So far I am very happy with the results.

Malcolm