Bar C Leather

Swivel Knife & Cramping

I've read up on some old posts about swivel knives and cramping. There wasn't much to be found, although I did find a post about setting the height.

I've been in leather craft for about 13 years now but the business itself is fairly young and just moving out of the "part time" classification. Thank goodness I took Bob Park's advice and got some proper sharpening stones and that has helped me out tremendously!

I'm still having problems with cramping in my hand with my swivel knife cutting. I use a filigree blade (recently moved to a fatter 1/2" barrel) for most of my floral/ tight curve carving. My standard swivel blade is on a smaller barrel and I use it for straight cut borders and decorative cuts. I've tried making the knives taller, shorter, switching the blade to the bigger & thinner barrels to no avail. I thought maybe having the blade properly sharpened would help but doesn't seem to. I don't have small hands, I would say average. My cramp is NOT in my index finger as I read some people's cramps occur. My cramping occurs in the 'meaty' base of my thumb. That muscle at the base of my palm.

My question is... could I be using pressure at the wrong places? I've looked at many pictures of people holding their swivel knives and I don't see any major differences in how I hold mine so I'm thinking I'm just squeezing the barrel too hard??? I can't seem to do it any different.

ANY advice is greatly appreciated :helpsmilie:

Thanks,

Natalie Carroll

Bar C Saddlery

Edited by Bar C Leather

I have some arthritis in my hands accompanied by some cramping when using the knife. Non medicinal: I stop every once in awhile and rub my fingers, notably the base of my thumb.

Medicinal: When it gets too bad I take two Bufferin Back and Body.

Mostly, I just live with it. When you are 77 years young you expect annoyances. LOL

ferg

I've read up on some old posts about swivel knives and cramping. There wasn't much to be found, although I did find a post about setting the height.

I've been in leather craft for about 13 years now but the business itself is fairly young and just moving out of the "part time" classification. Thank goodness I took Bob Park's advice and got some proper sharpening stones and that has helped me out tremendously!

I'm still having problems with cramping in my hand with my swivel knife cutting. I use a filigree blade (recently moved to a fatter 1/2" barrel) for most of my floral/ tight curve carving. My standard swivel blade is on a smaller barrel and I use it for straight cut borders and decorative cuts. I've tried making the knives taller, shorter, switching the blade to the bigger & thinner barrels to no avail. I thought maybe having the blade properly sharpened would help but doesn't seem to. I don't have small hands, I would say average. My cramp is NOT in my index finger as I read some people's cramps occur. My cramping occurs in the 'meaty' base of my thumb. That muscle at the base of my palm.

My question is... could I be using pressure at the wrong places? I've looked at many pictures of people holding their swivel knives and I don't see any major differences in how I hold mine so I'm thinking I'm just squeezing the barrel too hard??? I can't seem to do it any different.

ANY advice is greatly appreciated :helpsmilie:

Thanks,

Natalie Carroll

Bar C Saddlery

Intermittently I have a heck of a time with cramping and or my fingers falling asleep. I find stretching really helps. Do stretches that target the muscles under your arm up near your armpit. I usually grab the door casing slightly above my head and behind me and the roll my upper body to do the stretch. If I do this regularly it never seems to be bothersome, but if I don't stretch for a few days I find it isn't long coming back.

So.... I'm getting the feeling this is just "part of the job" I suppose I could use it as an excuse to buy a nicer swivel and/or just take breaks and do my stretches! I do try to remember to do my anti-carpal-tunnel stretches daily and when I cramp, I seem to remember a little more readily!! Thank you for the advice, still open to any magical solutions.

Edited by Bar C Leather

I had trouble with my hand cramping several years ago and started squesseing a rubber ball all the time and it really helped.

I get this cramp too. I found if I stop every 20 minutes or so when working with the knife and massage my hand it helps.

I would say get the expensive knife you have always wanted. When are you going to have this as an excuse again?

Good point, AZ....

I think you probably are pressing too hard, combined with extended continuous flexing of the muscle. It's just more than the muscles are able to do for a long time. Do remember to take some vitamins or eat a banana.

Natalie,

I've been watching this thread with interest. I can't help but wonder if your knife is till not sharp enough or that you may be letting your leather dry a little too much before you start cutting (maybe both). You would be surprised at how many people I run into that think they are using a sharp swivel knife when they are not. Also, having a good quality knife setup makes a huge difference. I cut fairly wet in order to give myself more tooling time and that aids in the ease of cutting. I think we all probably get cramps when cutting large projects like a saddle fender or a fully carved seat, but I don't think cramps are usually a big problem if you are someone who is carving constantly. If you only cut occasionally then it might not be unreasonable for you to get hand cramps because you probably haven't developed those muscles in your hand. You mentioned that you switched to a larger diameter barrel for tighter cuts and to me that is backwards. I use a large diameter barrel with a wide flat blade for straight or long sweeping cuts and a small diameter barrel with a small angled blade for tight cuts. It sounds like you are using the right blades on the wrong barrels. However is you have experimented and prefer those combinations then stick with them. "Right" is what works for you the best. The last thing to look at is the leather you are using. Good quality leather cuts like butter.....poor leather doesn't cut easily at all. And if you are not casing your leather properly that will add to your difficulties as well.

Hope this helps....

Bobby

Edited by hidepounder