Sign in to follow this  
Casey Jordan

Attn: Chap Makers

We have had several Chap makers ask if we would ever add a Chap category to the Art of the Cowboy Makers contest.

Let me know if you want to enter this category.

If we have enough entries we can add a Chap category for next year, it's up to you.

Comments and suggestions welcome!

Casey,

I think a chap makng category would be a good idea, however I think it would have to be specified what type of chaps. Kinda like the carving contest this year, all makers were making the same sort of item. As you know, there's a world of difference between working cowboy chaps, rodeo chaps, show chaps, biker chaps, etc. If it were just a chap contest, you could have a zillion different types of entries which would be very difficult to judge. Just my thoughts.

Casey,

I think a chap makng category would be a good idea, however I think it would have to be specified what type of chaps. Kinda like the carving contest this year, all makers were making the same sort of item. As you know, there's a world of difference between working cowboy chaps, rodeo chaps, show chaps, biker chaps, etc. If it were just a chap contest, you could have a zillion different types of entries which would be very difficult to judge. Just my thoughts.

Very good point!

It worked very well with the Leather Carving category having everyone making a binder. It made it a lot easier to judge the same items.

Here's what we think would work the best. Since this contest is held in conjunction with a western collectible and antique show a batwing chap would work the best.

This is the style these people are most familiar with.

Anything from a normal working cowboy batwing to a fancy batwing chap. It would be up to the maker as to how fancy and elaborate they wanted to make them.

Very good point!

It worked very well with the Leather Carving category having everyone making a binder. It made it a lot easier to judge the same items.

Here's what we think would work the best. Since this contest is held in conjunction with a western collectible and antique show a batwing chap would work the best.

This is the style these people are most familiar with.

Anything from a normal working cowboy batwing to a fancy batwing chap. It would be up to the maker as to how fancy and elaborate they wanted to make them.

Just something to consider, almost no one in the northwest or the west coast for that matter wears a batwing chap; unless you are talking about cutters but they don't really count as cowboy. The chink is a more common style of chap in summer and the shotgun is more common in winter. Just my perpsective from a cowboy point of view.

Just something to consider, almost no one in the northwest or the west coast for that matter wears a batwing chap; unless you are talking about cutters but they don't really count as cowboy. The chink is a more common style of chap in summer and the shotgun is more common in winter. Just my perpsective from a cowboy point of view.

JHayek,

Thanks for your comments, I appreciate your input.

I had not thought about the style differences and regional styles.

We can only have one chap category so we will have to figure out something. All comments are welcome!

We will definitely consider your comments!

Casey

I think chinks will be the most widely used and made style out there for all parts of the country. They can sure be made to fit what your trying to do I think. For me if I was to compete I would like to make chinks because I can sell them about any where to anyone. I would need a outlet for what ever I make. I really like the idea of one kind or style.

Mark

Casey

I think chinks will be the most widely used and made style out there for all parts of the country. They can sure be made to fit what your trying to do I think. For me if I was to compete I would like to make chinks because I can sell them about any where to anyone. I would need a outlet for what ever I make. I really like the idea of one kind or style.

Mark

Chinks are the most used chap in this part of the world, then shotguns and few old timers still using batwings, (I'm talking about working cowboys here) then you have the cutters and rodeo chaps etc. If you have a batwing only there would be no chance that I would enter cause it would take me a long time to sell a pair of batwings.

I would like to see an open chap catagory, nice work is nice work IMO, if a judge is properly qualified and not bias, he or she should leave the style preferance out of their judging and only judge on the quality of craftmanship, design and artistic abillity etc. the style of the chap should have no bearing on the outcome of the winners. In the saddle catagory they do not have to make only a wade with square skirts etc, so don't hold everyone back on their chap design.

My two cents

Steve

Casey

Mark

Mark,

You hit on a point we are really trying to achieve, making an item you can easily sell. We don't want you to make an item you will have a hard time selling.

I also like the idea of making one style of Chaps because it would be easier to judge, HOWEVER, we don't want to keep makers from entering just because of the style.

Steve has some very good points to consider also.

Chinks are the most used chap in this part of the world, then shotguns and few old timers still using batwings, (I'm talking about working cowboys here) then you have the cutters and rodeo chaps etc. If you have a batwing only there would be no chance that I would enter cause it would take me a long time to sell a pair of batwings.

I would like to see an open chap catagory, nice work is nice work IMO, if a judge is properly qualified and not bias, he or she should leave the style preferance out of their judging and only judge on the quality of craftmanship, design and artistic abillity etc. the style of the chap should have no bearing on the outcome of the winners. In the saddle catagory they do not have to make only a wade with square skirts etc, so don't hold everyone back on their chap design.

My two cents

Steve

I think if we have a "Batwing only", "Chinks only", or "Rodeo Chaps only" category we will keep a lot of makers from entering for various reasons.

An open Chap category might work because of the way we judge. The way we judge is if your entered in the saddle category, then your judging the saddle category along with all the others entered in the saddle category.

So this year we had 16 judges in the saddle category. If you are unable to attend you can designate someone to judge for you (if they are not entered or judging for someone else) or we will find someone who knows saddles to judge for you. All entries will be represented.

We judge all the categories this way for the first, second and third place in the makers judging.

People's Choice is voted on by everyone attending the show, they all get one vote per category.

And your right Steve, we don't put restrictions on Saddles, Spurs, Boots, Braiding, Hats, or Engraving as to what style they have to make. The Leather Carving category had the most restrictions so it would be easier to judge. It would be hard to judge a watchband against a suitcase.

The makers who entered Leather Carving this year are deciding what the project will be for next year right now.

I appreciate all your comments, very good points from all of you.

Casey

I like Steve's points very well. I like the one style just because I like to see how many different ways there might be to make the same think more less,with that said I did not mean that this was what you should do. I just did not like the way the chap's were judged at Sheridan. but it one mans likes and dislikes.

I really like the way you do the judging it really sounds like the winner is the right one at the show.

Mark

Casey

I like Steve's points very well. I like the one style just because I like to see how many different ways there might be to make the same think more less,with that said I did not mean that this was what you should do. I just did not like the way the chap's were judged at Sheridan. but it one mans likes and dislikes.

I really like the way you do the judging it really sounds like the winner is the right one at the show.

Mark

I agree with you on one style, but we don't want to keep anyone out either. We are discussing all options and considering all comments.

I have had no complaints about the way we judge, the makers like this system.

The main reason it works so well is it is NOT one guy opinion and it's fair for everyone.

All the entrants get a ballot and have to pick the first 4 places.

Then the first place vote gets 4 points, second place vote gets 3 points, third place vote gets 2 points and fourth place vote gets 1 point. This is for the makers judging.

I absolutly agree with steve, nice work is nice work regardless. I like the idea of an open catagory as well let everybody compete. For me the chinks are best but a really cool pair of old time batwings would be fun to make, just hard to unload.

I absolutly agree with steve, nice work is nice work regardless. I like the idea of an open catagory as well let everybody compete. For me the chinks are best but a really cool pair of old time batwings would be fun to make, just hard to unload.

We sure don't want to keep anyone out because of the style they have to make.

I think an open Chap category will work the best and the makers can decide what style they want to make.

We will decide pretty soon so we can get the rules and applications out.

Thanks for all the comments.

We have made a decision on the Chap category, it will be an Open Chap category! You may make whatever style you wish. Rules are below.

We have considered all the comments and asked the makers who had entered the Leather Carving last year to give us their votes on what they thought about this category.

The makers who entered the Leather Carving this last year also decided the project for next years contest. The Leather Carving project for 2012 will be a purse, the rules are below.

Any comments welcome!

Must have 7 contestants entered in a single category by 12/31/2011 to keep that category in the contest. If the category is canceled, all paid deposits/entries in that category will be refunded

Categories - Boots, Braiding, Chaps, Engraving, Hats, Leather Carving, Saddles, Spurs & Youth (Youth rules on website)

Entry Fee $100 per entry per category, $50 deposit

Trophy Buckles for 1st Place in each category and 1st Place in People's Choice in each category

Cash and ribbons awarded to first 3 places in each category

Judging will be done by contestants in the specific categories

"People's Choice Award" for each category voted by show attendees

Limit of 25 items per category. 1st come 1st serve

One entry per category per person

Cannot enter an item previously entered in the Art of the Cowboy Makers Contest.

Up to 2 makers working on one item

Leather Carvers will be making a purse. So the Leather Carving project is a Purse any size up to 14"long X 10" high. No kits allowed. Metal allowed on closures, handle & strap attachments and/or adjustments and on zippers.

Open Chap category. Can make any style - batwing, shotgun, rodeo, chinks, etc. Must bring own chap stand.

Bring your own saddle stand or rent one for $20.

Entries must be delivered by noon on Friday, June 15, 2012.

Security will be provided. Not responsible for damages, loss or theft.

For more details and applications contact Casey Jordan

Call or Email:

602-482-9758

(if no answer, please leave message) Email: casey@artofthecowboymakers.com

We have made a decision on the Chap category, it will be an Open Chap category! You may make whatever style you wish. Rules are below.

We have considered all the comments and asked the makers who had entered the Leather Carving last year to give us their votes on what they thought about this category.

The makers who entered the Leather Carving this last year also decided the project for next years contest. The Leather Carving project for 2012 will be a purse, the rules are below.

Any comments welcome!

Must have 7 contestants entered in a single category by 12/31/2011 to keep that category in the contest. If the category is canceled, all paid deposits/entries in that category will be refunded

Categories - Boots, Braiding, Chaps, Engraving, Hats, Leather Carving, Saddles, Spurs & Youth (Youth rules on website)

Entry Fee $100 per entry per category, $50 deposit

Trophy Buckles for 1st Place in each category and 1st Place in People's Choice in each category

Cash and ribbons awarded to first 3 places in each category

Judging will be done by contestants in the specific categories

"People's Choice Award" for each category voted by show attendees

Limit of 25 items per category. 1st come 1st serve

One entry per category per person

Cannot enter an item previously entered in the Art of the Cowboy Makers Contest.

Up to 2 makers working on one item

Leather Carvers will be making a purse. So the Leather Carving project is a Purse any size up to 14"long X 10" high. No kits allowed. Metal allowed on closures, handle & strap attachments and/or adjustments and on zippers.

Open Chap category. Can make any style - batwing, shotgun, rodeo, chinks, etc. Must bring own chap stand.

Bring your own saddle stand or rent one for $20.

Entries must be delivered by noon on Friday, June 15, 2012.

Security will be provided. Not responsible for damages, loss or theft.

For more details and applications contact Casey Jordan

Call or Email:

602-482-9758

(if no answer, please leave message) Email: casey@artofthecowboymakers.com