2Yutes

Custom Edge Burnisher Review Leatherburnishers.com

Hi Guys,

As a professional holster maker, I usually don't get too jazzed over a fairly simple tool but I know that a lot of amateurs here will try their luck at making their own holsters and there are also a lot of other active pro holster makers that read these boards so I wanted to give props where props are due.

Chris over at Three Mutts Customs made me a pretty sick custom burnisher. His site is at http://leatherburnishers.com.

If anyone has ever burnished an edge of leather, you know what a pain it can be without the right tool. I can tell you that for the small price I paid, this tool will save me boatloads of time. Previously, I was using a really old tool I made myself. It was out of balance and very difficult to use. This new burnisher seriously looks like a piece of furniture - made of hard cocobolo wood and is balanced flawlessly. It's so pretty I almost didn't want to foul it up with wax and dye and what not....but I did :spoton:

This particular version was custom made for me per my specs. I sent Chris a drawing of what I wanted and he made an exact copy.

If you are a pro or amateur leather worker and have been working with a jerry rigged burnishing tool, I highly recommend these guys for edge burnishers. With Chris doing what he does and the price he charges, there is absolutely no need to attempt making one yourself - its just not worth the effort. This is a real deal tool. Excellent craftsmanship and perfectly well balanced on my drill press - not even a bit of a shake or nothing. They make them with smaller shanks for Dremels as well as larger shanked burnishers for drill presses. Mine has a 3/8" or 1/2" shank. What else can you ask for?

2 thumbs up for LeatherBurnishers.com

Burnish1.jpg

Burnish2.jpg

Burnish3.jpg

Burnish4.jpg

You speak the truth! I ordered mine a while back and it is easily the best 30 bucks I've spent for a leatherworking tool. I had been using a home made "burnisher" and ussually ended up spending WAY to long on edges that still looked like garbage.

Honestly, this burnisher has increased the overall quality of my holsters... wish I would have bought one sooner!

post-13450-036553100 1308931927_thumb.jp

Thanks for the kudos guys, always nice to hear how they are working out. ;)

Sixer - looks like you definitely found the process you were looking for, that's a great looking edge!

Ditto! I really am stoked about my Dremel burnishers.

Thanks for the kudos guys, always nice to hear how they are working out. ;)

Sixer - looks like you definitely found the process you were looking for, that's a great looking edge!

Order submitted. I'm excited!

Kevin

Order submitted. I'm excited!

Kevin

Hey Kevin, I saw the order come through tonight, thanks! I'll see if I can't get them into the mail tomorrow for ya to get ahead of the holiday on Monday. :cheers:

Even the grumpy old katsass got one ...and likes it! If I can locate the right motor with a 1/2" threaded shaft, a good chuck will go on it and a 'permanent' burnishing station will be created.....just because of this little goodie. Thanks Spinner

Even the grumpy old katsass got one ...and likes it! If I can locate the right motor with a 1/2" threaded shaft, a good chuck will go on it and a 'permanent' burnishing station will be created.....just because of this little goodie. Thanks Spinner

I just picked up on sale a really decent drill press with 1/2 chuck at Harbor Freight. It's 69.99 but I got it on sale for $39.99 I think it was a few weeks back.

They've got a 20% off deal right now for 4th of July if you act quick:

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-speed-drill-press-38119.html

I too made a permanent burnishing station. No more changing out bits.....works great and the factory speed was perfect for burnishing.

Hey Kevin, I saw the order come through tonight, thanks! I'll see if I can't get them into the mail tomorrow for ya to get ahead of the holiday on Monday. :cheers:

I haven't been at the bench or at the computer much these last couple weeks, I'm on vacation (staying close to home but have a lot of work to do lol), but I wanted to let you know that I received my burnisher on Monday!!

Super happy, looks awesome and exactly as the pics. I haven't been able to test drive it yet, I'll be sure to update once I do.

Thanks a ton,

Kevin

Do most of you that use these use them on a dremel or a drill press? I'd like to try one but I'm not sure which would work better.

Do most of you that use these use them on a dremel or a drill press? I'd like to try one but I'm not sure which would work better.

I just recently purchased a 1/2" chuck drill press from Northern Tool or Harbor Freight - about $40 on sale - to make a permanent burnishing station but before that I was using a Dremel with a drill press stand for a number of years.

The attachment worked great...it was similar to this one: http://www.amazon.co...11335403&sr=1-1

I am a near full-time holster maker and the Dremel worked well enough for a lot of years and is very handy obviously for other things as well. The drill press is just a bit sturdier and more heavy duty so I can really lay into the burnishing tool without tipping it over (I never attached it to my bench).

It's personal preference really. If you are going to do a lot of burnishing over a long period of time, eventually you'll probably end up with a drill press but if you are going to be a hobbyist, making 1 to 3 holsters say a week, then the Dremel will work just fine too. I still use my Dremel press every day to do some fine sanding and other things....now I don't have to change out bits as frequently though so it saves a little bit of time I guess.

BTW Spinner....at first I wasn't so sure about that radio tower thingy at the bottom of my burnisher but it proved to be extremely useful burnishing the insides of my belt slits on my holsters and those little nooks I was never able to reach before. I've got people asking me how I got the inside of my belt slits to appear seamless....a little beeswax rubbed in there after a drop of Gum Tragacanth and then I slip the belt slit up around the radio tower thing at the bottom of the burnisher and it works great.

Edited by 2Yutes

Hey Bobby, Got it, thanks! I'll get it turned this weekend for you.

RustyMelon - As 2Yutes mentioned, alot of it depends on convenience and volume. Most of my work involves 6oz leather with various shapes and my shop is divided between two different areas (leather inside and wood/metal outside) so getting to the drill press can take more time than the actual burnishing does so I tend to lean towards the dremel bits more but as I'm expanding the leather shop this month I may pick up a $40 HF drill press and make a permanent station if funds allow. If you're doing a decent volume of heavy work like holsters and other thick items that may need some extra pressure I'd go with the drill press version...not only does it have more channels, etc. on one bit as 2Yutes mentions but the drill press itself is heavier duty and the overall set-up will last longer (I go through a set of dremel motor bushings about every 3-4 months).

2Yutes - funny how you can discover new things on something so straight-forward, eh? The various sizes also help quite a bit with the tight edges you find on a slim jim style holster like the trigger loop/curve. ;)

Edited by Spinner

Hey Bobby, Got it, thanks! I'll get it turned this weekend for you.

RustyMelon - As 2Yutes mentioned, alot of it depends on convenience and volume. Most of my work involves 6oz leather with various shapes and my shop is divided between two different areas (leather inside and wood/metal outside) so getting to the drill press can take more time than the actual burnishing does so I tend to lean towards the dremel bits more but as I'm expanding the leather shop this month I may pick up a $40 HF drill press and make a permanent station if funds allow. If you're doing a decent volume of heavy work like holsters and other thick items that may need some extra pressure I'd go with the drill press version...not only does it have more channels, etc. on one bit as 2Yutes mentions but the drill press itself is heavier duty and the overall set-up will last longer (I go through a set of dremel motor bushings about every 3-4 months).

2Yutes - funny how you can discover new things on something so straight-forward, eh? The various sizes also help quite a bit with the tight edges you find on a slim jim style holster like the trigger loop/curve. ;)

Thanks for the reply's guys. I think I'll go with the drill press version.

I just placed an order for one, for my drill. Spinner's burnishers look a lot nicer than the one i bought off of ebay.

Received mine some days ago, i like 'em a lot!

Kudos to Spinner for a very nice and affordable product.

Cheers

Schpacko

I just bought a drill press from HF and also ordered a new cocobolo edger from Spinner last night. He sent me an email and said it would ship on Wednesday! Can't wait to actually have a good tool to finish my edges. It just makes the project look so much more finished when you finish the edges the right way!

I'll post a review when I've used it.