Sign in to follow this  
withsilverbells

Hello From Nashville, Tn

My name is Mary and I am very new to the leatherworking world. Before I owned a home sewing machine I would handsew anything I had the idea for, from purses to dresses. Once I got my lovely antique sewing machine, I felt like I could do anything. But I have always wanted to work with leather, and when I realized that home machine wouldn't have the punch to put one hole in leather, I started making other plans.

Now I am the proud owner of a Consew 206RB-5. At the time of this posting I am trying to figure out how to fix the stitching, since I don't yet know anything about troubleshooting these machines. In the meanwhile I have been using a high-powered hole-punch to make thong wrap-around stitches.

I live in Nashville, Tennessee, and this Fall I will begin graduate studies in speech-language pathology. I am hoping that my leather crafting can contribute to my living costs during that time, but mostly I just would love to learn the craft better so that I can enjoy it all my life.

Well Ms. Mary, greetings and welcome to the forum! Please share any photographs of your work.

My name is Mary and I am very new to the leatherworking world. Before I owned a home sewing machine I would handsew anything I had the idea for, from purses to dresses. Once I got my lovely antique sewing machine, I felt like I could do anything. But I have always wanted to work with leather, and when I realized that home machine wouldn't have the punch to put one hole in leather, I started making other plans.

Now I am the proud owner of a Consew 206RB-5. At the time of this posting I am trying to figure out how to fix the stitching, since I don't yet know anything about troubleshooting these machines. In the meanwhile I have been using a high-powered hole-punch to make thong wrap-around stitches.

I live in Nashville, Tennessee, and this Fall I will begin graduate studies in speech-language pathology. I am hoping that my leather crafting can contribute to my living costs during that time, but mostly I just would love to learn the craft better so that I can enjoy it all my life.

Hi Mary, and thank you for joining. We do appreciate it. Steve

Hey Mary....welcome

Hi Mary,

I have the exact same machine as you.

This is what works for me: Remove bobbin, turn little adjustment screw counterclockwise until you feel it stop. Turn 1/4 turn clockwise. Replace bobbin, go to the upper tension adjustment. Back the knurled knob out until it is about even with the end of the post it screws onto. Now, turn it clockwise one turn. Sew into scrap piece of leather that will approximate what your final piece thickness is to be. Check the stitch. If the knots are pulled to the top, turn the adjusting screw on the bobbin another 1/4 turn clockwise leaving the top tension alone. If the knots are showing on the bottom of the piece increase the top tension about 1/2 turn. Continue this until your stitches are equal. After this procedure you will learn about where the settings need to be for each thickness/type of leather you are using. CAUTION! That little adjusting screw on the bobbin is very short, do not get carried away with backing it out. If you turn it a full turn you may not need to adjust anything but the top tension. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE YOUR MACHINE THREADED CORRECTLY.

ferg