datgirl

Quilting

Hi there,

I am a fashion student in Sydney and I joined to see if anyone here can help me out.

I am currently making an evening gown with leather panels. I want these panels to be quilted but I am having trouble getting the amount of height I want. I have tried stitching my quilted pattern onto the leather piece with a cotton wadding backing it, but I'm not getting the desired effect. I can easily get the effect I am after using neoprene instread of leather, but I really want to use leather.

Is there some kind of trick to it? I know it can be done as I see It all the time on Burrberry coats and motorcycle leathers.

HELP!!!

Tegan.

post-22774-051040500 1309403612_thumb.jp

What kind of leather are you using for your panels? Veg-Tan, Chrome Tan, Latigo, etc? If you have not considered 'chrome tan', it is leather, flexible and will probably provide you with the emboss relief (height) that you are expecting. Using a thicker foam padding may also help you.

Good luck!

If Neoprene gives the effect you want, but you want a leather surface, have you tried stitching a layer of garment leather over a layer of neoprene?

Datgirl,

You will need three layers of textile to achieve you goal.

working from outer surface in

A garment weight leather.

A layer of open cell medium density foam.

and a layer of cheap fabric

I use a Spray adhesive to mount the cloth to the foam then the foam to the leather.

the cloth helps prevent the stitching from cutting the foam and helps the composite slide through the sewing equipment.

I use a pencil to trace my stitch path ( depending on how complicated the pattern)

Have fun :)

There's a specifc materials that's sewn in between the layers of leather to get that quilting effect that's been made famous by high end designers like Chanel. I recently purchased a used Chanel dog collar and leash set that needed repairs and I saw that material first hand as the stitiching was coming apart and the material was exposed. My wife works in fashion and she knew what the material is called (I can't remember what she called it) and she also mentioned that it comes in a wide range weights.