ahimsacowgirl

Trenza Patria

Makes sense to me. And that edge is what I remember from the Nate workshop.

Hey!

I do the 12 plait Trenza Patria all the time now its a great braid! First of all it changes patterns and then changes sides. If you have 5 on the left and 7 on the right. You start out over 3 under 3, then the next strand under 3 over 2, then you will have 7 on the left and 5 on the right. On the left top string goes over 3 under 3, then the next strand goes under 3 over 2.

You need to make sure and tighten by pulling out, not downward or at an angle as it tighens a couple inches above the braid! I would post pics but I have a broken camera. Will post later! I hope this clarifies!

Email me

Hi every body

The braid in the first post is an 13 plait braid, it´s diferent from the others show above. Here in Brazil we use to do that braid in mule tack. It´s not that dificult to made. First you make two groups of strings, one with 6 and other with 7. Begining in the side you let with 7 strings you must go over 3 and under 3, than you go to the other side that now have 7 strings and do the same thing. Now is the secret of this braid. At the side you started you now go under 3 and over 3 (at the first time you pass O3 and U3), and do the same at the oposit side. And then you go on changing every time you back to the side you started, one time O3 U3 and other U3 O3. I hope this can help you.

Here is a picture from the book Trenzas Gauchas. post-10388-003000300 1309885467_thumb.jp

I hope you're not referring to my braided necklace. It's not a 13 strand braid. It is a 12 strand braid. It's not the Trenza Patria. It is the Trenza De Doce. The sequence is a bit different than the Patria braid. There is no alternating sides. It is more along the lines of a round braid.

U2, O1, U1, O2 - This same sequence is repeated on the other side. Instructions below.

post-1307-038187100 1310578529_thumb.jpgpost-1307-046318500 1310578530_thumb.jpg

It will form up pretty much on its own, into the rectangular shape.

B...

by the first post do you mean the "no ear" bridles?

Email me

Hi every body

The braid in the first post is an 13 plait braid, it´s diferent from the others show above. Here in Brazil we use to do that braid in mule tack. It´s not that dificult to made. First you make two groups of strings, one with 6 and other with 7. Begining in the side you let with 7 strings you must go over 3 and under 3, than you go to the other side that now have 7 strings and do the same thing. Now is the secret of this braid. At the side you started you now go under 3 and over 3 (at the first time you pass O3 and U3), and do the same at the oposit side. And then you go on changing every time you back to the side you started, one time O3 U3 and other U3 O3. I hope this can help you.

Here is a picture from the book Trenzas Gauchas. post-10388-003000300 1309885467_thumb.jp

post-16781-065568700 1310826988_thumb.gi

whatdoes the back sode of this look like? I think this is what I did for these, but someone told me this is NOT the patria trenza

yes....see how you get the double thickness on the edge? you can mess around with the actual braiding pattern as long as you alternate the o/u u/o on each side. this is how this braid can be used for so much strap work in horse gear...the edge is much firmer and the braid less likely to roll up because of it (IMHO)

post-16781-002464000 1310995508_thumb.gi

post-16781-093843200 1310995537_thumb.gi

post-16781-096048400 1310995586_thumb.gi

Edited by ahimsacowgirl

I am so confused.....lol

it looks just like the front, only when using leather or rawhide it is the flesh side on the back. in that picture of the no ear headstall you can just see the back of the braid in the long piece that is shown going down the middle of the headstall. i have pictures for a tutorial, i will try to get it up this evening sometime.

ahimsacowgirl

I had to go back to your very first post myself. But I really think that in your original post that the below link in reference to my earlier post is what you are looking for, or looking to do.

Trenza De Doce

Of course I am now also a bit perplexed as to what actual braid or plait you are looking to do.

B...

:blink:

the one ear bridles is a pic someone sen me -- they want that bridle duplicated...then someone else told me that they were made with trenza patria ..myae it s NOT trenza patria at all.....but that was what I was after originally....lol....it definitely has the thicker edge as described here.....this one ...it looks like the finished edge is showing on both sides...maybe it is not on the back and just looks that way

ahimsacowgirl

I had to go back to your very first post myself. But I really think that in your original post that the below link in reference to my earlier post is what you are looking for, or looking to do.

Trenza De Doce

Of course I am now also a bit perplexed as to what actual braid or plait you are looking to do.

B...

:blink:

post-16781-010545000 1311025236_thumb.gi

Edited by ahimsacowgirl

I think that the only difference in the photo you just posted and the one I braided is the strings are wider, which makes the braid wider. But it does appear to have the finished look on both sides.

B...

i think what you guys are seeing is that the headstall is laid out for a pretty picture...so therefore they placed it finished side up but really if you look at the straight piece that is down the middle of the headstall you can clearly see that is the flesh side. slightly different color and no shiny finish on it.......that piece is set on edge to show the double edge of the braid.

if you look at some of the braiding from south america they use the trenza patria alot and it can be seen in many widths....more and/or wider strings for wider braids.

Is it possible to have the person send you that bridle for duplication? That sure would make things a little easier for you.

I'm taking on my very own project. My very first set of hobbles and the customer wants the braid flat and detailed...I'm going to try Knotheads rectangular braid. I think it's a stunning braid. I'm going to start with 12 strands 1/16' but when I make the hobbles I'm going to use more strings, if I get the braid right that is. Not sure how many, we'll see how many I can keep up with.

Knothead, Is that braided..finished on both sides?

Edited by entiendo

Yes. That braid is finished on both sides.

B...

I think I may do the same.....I've looked at your work on etsy...lovely!

Is it possible to have the person send you that bridle for duplication? That sure would make things a little easier for you.

I'm taking on my very own project. My very first set of hobbles and the customer wants the braid flat and detailed...I'm going to try Knotheads rectangular braid. I think it's a stunning braid. I'm going to start with 12 strands 1/16' but when I make the hobbles I'm going to use more strings, if I get the braid right that is. Not sure how many, we'll see how many I can keep up with.

Knothead, Is that braided..finished on both sides?

Thank you Brain...I think I'm on my way, and I'm wishing that I had one of your clips! LOL

Sorry about the poor quality, it was taken with my nifty phone. When I'm done I'll take better pictures. I wish I would have split the string a little thinner, so I'm not sure it's going to be the perfect piece I wanted but probably nice all the same.

post-6663-032192500 1311145053_thumb.jpg

LOL....BRAIN?

LOL....BRAIN?

Hee hee...oops Brian. Not a bad mistake though.

funny!!!!!

Ah... Now that makes feel right at home. LOL... That braid is lookin real nice entiendo.

B...

It's just a beautiful braid. I have about 5 inches now and I just LOVE it. Thank you so much. Now I have to ask what's the sequence with more strings? Do you know? It would seem you only go over and under 1 only for the corners, but with a wider braid I'm not sure where the corners should be.

Hi.

Sequences for the following go,

12 strand you already know.

16 strand - U3, O1, U1, O3

20 strand - U4, O1, U1, O4

I'll have to work out the others some how. But that should give you a good idea.

B...

You rock knothead! Thank you so much. I was actually thinking 24 strand. It seems strange the last part of the sequence of the 20 goes over 4 rather than over 2 and under 2. I haven't worked with anything over 12 so what do I know anyway.

Give the 20 strand a try like that then. See what you come up with. I know the pattern will change on either side giving you a different pattern on either side. HMMM... Ideas, Ideas... LOL....

B...

Now I hadn't thought of that, you are right. Wouldn't want to go to the trouble of making a flat braid smooth on both sides and then not make it the same all the way around. Still have to think on it.

How does the sequence go for normal rounds after 12?

And here it is. I'm a little disappointed I didn't split the strings even thinner. I didn't want a break. It could have been smoother if I did, but it is a very pretty braid.

post-6663-033482500 1311193636_thumb.jpg

Now that I see the picture up close I have to say the actual braid is much smoother in real life. I wonder if the shadows are making things a little distorted.

Edited by entiendo