ARamcharan

Leatherworking Supply Carrier Bag

Tandy Leather Factory Website has some free downloadable patterns

Ok, those are new! Last time I checked they only had the Al Stohlman catalog covers like the eagle, a bit too advanced for my level so far. I bookmarked the site it takes you to now though! I ended up doing a basic floral design already.

post-22887-002779400 1310167037_thumb.jppost-22887-007560700 1310167020_thumb.jppost-22887-042269100 1310167006_thumb.jp

These are pictures of the completed tool roll. I need to add something to the top to keep them from falling out though :(

Thanks to everyone who helped and suggested ideas!

To stop the tools falling out.. sew on an extra 'flap' along the top that goes downwards and covers the tops of the tools.

Natalie

Yes, a flap would solve the problem nicely.

I like this thread. I'm planning on making my own tool roll as soon as I get back from teaching merit badges at camp. I have it all sketched out and just need to start cutting and sewing.

Yes, a flap would solve the problem nicely.

I like this thread. I'm planning on making my own tool roll as soon as I get back from teaching merit badges at camp. I have it all sketched out and just need to start cutting and sewing.

In that case, I have a few pointers I picked up on where I need to improve mine:

1) Don't have a large space between tools, like on the right side of mine between the pen and my last stamp, it bunches up when rolled.

2) Use something other than snaps. They don't look the best on here, and the ones I have are hard to snap and unsnap when rolled because of the lack of support behind them.

3) Stitch, sew, or lace the whole thing. It looks A LOT nicer than sewing part, lacing part, and stitching part.

4) Make sure you properly mold the leather to your tools. Mine is kind of loose. That might be partly because I used chrome tanned upholstery leather.

5) 8-9 oz veg tanned is too thick for the "cover" I put on it, but it was all I had,

and 6) put something over the top to keep the tools from falling out.

Other than that, GOOD LUCK!

Threads like this are what it's all about - Sharing and Learning from each other!!:)

That looks like something I see Saddlemakers carrying, ones that do onsite kinds of repairs. Looks like a great project, and a way to practice several techniques.

6/22/12

I got tired of using cloth bags that weren't sturdy enough for my heavy tools. Went to Home Depot and bought several of their 12 inch red and black canvas tool bags ($9.00), and several of their 18 inch bags ($17.00). Two or three I allocated to my leather tools and scraps, and others to my carpentry tools, clay tools, and acrylic paints. What a relief. Now, even though I have to dig through the bag to find what I need, it's just great to be able to pick the whole thing up and transport it without worrying about a small pair of scissors falling out through the corner. At least I know that everything I put into the bag will still be 'in' the bag the next time I need it. - TexasLady