Sign in to follow this  
Denster

Different Take On An Old Idea

I kept getting requests from customers for holsters that offered more positive retention than a pancake style for the various J fame revolvers. Since the concealed hammer design and the prevalance of CT lasergrips don't really lend themselves well to thumb break. IMO. I came up with this design. I'm sure a lot of you will recognise the commonality with the old upside down shoulder holster.

Basically the design uses a split front to the face of the cylinder that is covered with a stitched in elastic strap. The rear of the holster has a 14OZ welt that profiles the rear of the weapon and traps the top of the triggerguard. When drawing you move the weapon 1/4in forward against the elastic and it releases. One hand reholstering is easy as the triggerguard contacts the welt and cams the weapon forward and it pops into place.

Pretty secure setup as you could literally go bungee jumping and you might loose your lunch but not your weapon. An added advantage is that it is virtually impossible to draw from the rear making it pretty snatch resistant also.

The photo with the High Standard Sentinel is my prototype to test the concept. It's my favorite woods bumming gun and I needed a holster for it anyway.

It will work with the CT grips except for the LG405 that covers the entire guard and works nicely with the new Bodyguard with integral laser.

Thoughts, comments, whatever.

post-7354-003261000 1309745532_thumb.jpg

post-7354-015675900 1309745545_thumb.jpg

post-7354-031592200 1309745554_thumb.jpg

Edited by Denster

Do you mind if I try the design? I've got a few people looking for something like that, and your solution seems to fit the bill perfectly. Also....your model name for it?

Do you mind if I try the design? I've got a few people looking for something like that, and your solution seems to fit the bill perfectly. Also....your model name for it?

Mike

Go ahead and give it a whirl. Like I said it's just a different take on an old idea. I don't name my holster designs that's mostly a marketing strategy and I allready sell everything I care to make.

I think it's a neat design, and I like your style as well. Keep up the good work!

Thanks Denster, I appreciate the go-ahead. As for the name, I was just looking to give credit where it's due. I try hard to not blatantly copy someone else's work, and if I do heavily use another maker's work as the basis for mine, I let my customers know where I got the idea.

I'll get started on one tomorrow :)

You may be on to something here . I like it

Brilliant!

Yeah, that's a great design solution!

:You_Rock_Emoticon: That is waaaayyy cool ! Awesome job Denster.

Denster, you done good!!!! Those were good little holsters, except that the elastic gave up too soon...With the newer stuff out now it may prove to really be the 'katsass" LOL

Keep it up...lots of good ideas from the past may work out better with the new technology. .mike

Denster, you done good!!!! Those were good little holsters, except that the elastic gave up too soon...With the newer stuff out now it may prove to really be the 'katsass" LOL

Keep it up...lots of good ideas from the past may work out better with the new technology. .mike

Thanks! From one grumpy old man to another. The elastic is better these days and the trick is to use heavier leather like 8OZ and the way the elastic is stitched in the gun never touches it and it doesn't have to stretch very much to release.It's most important function is mostly to keep some tension on the weapon when it is holstered.