Missouri Mule

What Feet For Consew 226

I just bought an old, bare bones, Consew 226 and need to buy feet for it.

The only sewing I have ever done was on the day I bought it , with the seller coaching me on it's operation .

I am in the process of shopping the myriad of supplies needed, just starting out from zero.

What are the most important feet or sets to buy for this machine?

I plan on nothing thicker than tooled belts, suspenders, and probably some boat cover/tarp type projects.

What attachments do you 111 clone users use the most?

Thanks,

Doug

Hi Doug. For sewing leather, make sure that the feet are smooth bottom so they do not mark the leather. Most industrial sewing machine stores either have them in stock, or they can be ordered. Most of the sewing machine dealers on this forum can get them for you as well.They interchange with the Singer 111/211, Juki 563/562, Consew 206/255, Nakajima 280L, and others. Steve

Doug,Like Steve said the smooth bottom is best for leather,they also make a zipper foot where the toe is off on the left or right side nthese are used for sewing zippers & for sewing around hardware & next to buckles.There's also cording feet for upholstery too.

If you want I can scan some pics of some of them & send them to you.

Bob

I just bought an old, bare bones, Consew 226 and need to buy feet for it.

The only sewing I have ever done was on the day I bought it , with the seller coaching me on it's operation .

What are the most important feet or sets to buy for this machine?

What attachments do you 111 clone users use the most?

Thanks,

Doug

Doug;

I have a walking foot machine that uses type 111 pressor feet and this is what I have for feet:

• smooth - bottom standard width and heavy duty (wider) double toe sets
  • smooth - left toe standard width set
  • teeth - left toe narrow set (zippers)
  • teeth - right toe (zippers)
  • smooth binding foot set (extra wide inside foot and long, wide left toe to match)
  • welting foot sets from 3/16" up to 5/8"
  • double welting foot set for 1/8" cord

The only attachment I currently have is a swing-away edge guide, with either a long flat edge guide, or a narrow roller guide that screws onto it.

My sewing on this machine ranges from 2 layers of Naugahyde, up to 7/16" of leather. While I tend to use the smooth left toe set the most, for work up to 5/16 inch, I find that it is best to change to the extra wide double toe or binding foot set, for thicker leather (3/8"+). These sets exert more pressure on their own, by spreading the top spring pressure over a wider path. A single toe - standard width set needs much more top pressure to keep the thick leather from lifting with the needle, which causes skipped stitches, different stitch lengths and definitely, deeper marks from the left outside foot.

Edited by Wizcrafts

Doug;

I have a walking foot machine that uses type 111 pressor feet and this is what I have for feet:

• smooth - bottom standard width and heavy duty (wider) double toe sets
  • smooth - left toe standard width set
  • teeth - left toe narrow set (zippers)
  • teeth - right toe (zippers)
  • smooth binding foot set (extra wide inside foot and long, wide left toe to match)
  • welting foot sets from 3/16" up to 5/8"
  • double welting foot set for 1/8" cord

The only attachment I currently have is a swing-away edge guide, with either a long flat edge guide, or a narrow roller guide that screws onto it.

My sewing on this machine ranges from 2 layers of Naugahyde, up to 7/16" of leather. While I tend to use the smooth left toe set the most, for work up to 5/16 inch, I find that it is best to change to the extra wide double toe or binding foot set, for thicker leather (3/8"+). These sets exert more pressure on their own, by spreading the top spring pressure over a wider path. A single toe - standard width set needs much more top pressure to keep the thick leather from lifting with the needle, which causes skipped stitches, different stitch lengths and definitely, deeper marks from the left outside foot.

Thank you so much guys.:You_Rock_Emoticon:

I found most of them.

I just got a 1/8" edge guide foot set, a standard foot set, and ordered a 3/16" guide foot set, and left toe set, .

That's a start.

Binding foot is next. It might be a while before I am ready for the welting and zipper sets.:unsure:

All I know how to do right now is get the thread from the spool and bobbin to the needle. :)

Do you know where can I find the extra wide double toe?

Thanks again,

Doug

Edited by Missouri Mule

Thank you so much guys.:You_Rock_Emoticon:

I found most of them.

I just got a 1/8" edge guide foot set, a standard foot set, and ordered a 3/16" guide foot set, and left toe set, .

That's a start.

Binding foot is next. It might be a while before I am ready for the welting and zipper sets.:unsure:

All I know how to do right now is get the thread from the spool and bobbin to the needle. :)

Do you know where can I find the extra wide double toe?

Thanks again,

Doug

I think I found it. Singer 240148H and 240149H.

Doug

I think I found it. Singer 240148H and 240149H.

Doug

You can get all of those pressor feet from our member, Bob Kovar; owner of Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines.

I also have a couple of the spring edge guide feet. You have to dink with the spring to ensure that it freely moves all the way up and down. Some of them bind a little after going up and don't drop down all the way. This can lead to the spring running up onto the edge of the leather, throwing your nice stitch line out of alignment (my own experience). After I ran emery cloth through the slots and over any rough edges of the springs, they moved all the way up and down, freely.

Wiz,

I got the SEWPRO 500GR motor from Bob.

I needed a 3" shorter belt like you did on your National.

I played with it empty for a while.

I feel much, much, more in control.

It will be SWEET!

Doug

You can get all of those pressor feet from our member, Bob Kovar; owner of Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines.

I also have a couple of the spring edge guide feet. You have to dink with the spring to ensure that it freely moves all the way up and down. Some of them bind a little after going up and don't drop down all the way. This can lead to the spring running up onto the edge of the leather, throwing your nice stitch line out of alignment (my own experience). After I ran emery cloth through the slots and over any rough edges of the springs, they moved all the way up and down, freely.

This seems to be the problem I am having with a 1/8 spring edge guide foot on my Seiko STH-8BLD-3, I am using #138 thread, 140-22 tri point needle, 8-9 oz vegtan leather. That and the stitch length seems to shorten also when using this foot. I can put the regular foot back on and use a bed mounted guide and and stitch length is good and the leather steers straight. The spring "appears" to move freely but hangs up only occasionally that I can tell when I push it up. I guess I will try and take it apart and clean up the edges and see if it works any better.

This seems to be the problem I am having with a 1/8 spring edge guide foot on my Seiko STH-8BLD-3, I am using #138 thread, 140-22 tri point needle, 8-9 oz vegtan leather. That and the stitch length seems to shorten also when using this foot. I can put the regular foot back on and use a bed mounted guide and and stitch length is good and the leather steers straight. The spring "appears" to move freely but hangs up only occasionally that I can tell when I push it up. I guess I will try and take it apart and clean up the edges and see if it works any better.

I use the spring guide feet with caution and mostly on smaller straps, like for watch bands and such. They ride up too easily, unless you have really cleaned up the spring and the channel is moves in.

Ok, Thanks, I will keep that in mind.

What is a good price for a Consew 226.  I have a seller selling one for $350 it needs a reverse lever and to be serviced.  

5 hours ago, usmc323 said:

What is a good price for a Consew 226.  I have a seller selling one for $350 it needs a reverse lever and to be serviced.  

This is a very old thread from 2011, your post adds nothing useful to its content.

Please start a new thread in Leather Sewing Machines

Has anyone tried the sail rite 1/4” cording foot.  It states that its compatible with the 206rb, which should make it compatible with the 226 as well.  

35 minutes ago, usmc323 said:

Has anyone tried the sail rite 1/4” cording foot.  It states that its compatible with the 206rb, which should make it compatible with the 226 as well.  

Not if you are referring to the portable Sailrite models which are top and bottom feed only. They use totally different feet that are not compatible with compound feed walking foot machines. Do you have a link to the foot you have in mind?

I buy most of my presser feet on ebay, or from my favorite industrial sewing machine dealer.

On 1/8/2022 at 8:07 PM, Wizcrafts said:

Not if you are referring to the portable Sailrite models which are top and bottom feed only. They use totally different feet that are not compatible with compound feed walking foot machines. Do you have a link to the foot you have in mind?

I buy most of my presser feet on ebay, or from my favorite industrial sewing machine dealer.

It’s not for the portable but for there professional model.  It states its compatible with the 206rb which I assume use the same feet as the 226.  It’s a special foot as it has an opening in the back to allow for turning corners easier.

Who is your favorite supplier - I see a ton of feet mostly from China with mixed reviews.  Looking for a reliable supplier for my 226.

54 minutes ago, usmc323 said:

It’s not for the portable but for there professional model.  It states its compatible with the 206rb which I assume use the same feet as the 226.  It’s a special foot as it has an opening in the back to allow for turning corners easier.

If that's the style of piping foot you need, you should buy it from Sailrite.

56 minutes ago, usmc323 said:

Who is your favorite supplier - I see a ton of feet mostly from China with mixed reviews.  Looking for a reliable supplier for my 226.

Other than Ebay sewing machine dealers, I buy machines, parts, thread and accessories from Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines.