sheridanman

My Very Own English Style Paring Knife

hi everyone!

after a several months of trial and error. lots of steel variety. i got down to finally making it. the english style paring knife i am dying to build for months to assist me in my paring edges for folding. the building stage lead me as well to practice and hone my skills at paring which is not soooo easy.

been playing with the right blade angle and bevel angle. i have to hone it, sharpen it by hand to get the exact angle that will help ease the cutting. i have to put a flex on it so you can really dig in flat when the hand is elevated when final skewing is needed.

lessons learned: the angle and bevel will play a great role on the kind and types of leather you will pare or skive. the edge i put on this knife is kinda in between that it will pare very thin leathers like exotics and up to the veg and chromed tanned leathers. some leathers needs a different specific angle. i really thought before that paring knives used by book binders will do. but i was surprised it didn't. most of the knives they use are for soft leathers and already thinner than the reular ones we buy.

the more i practiced paring the more i realized that the anlge of the bevel and blade is relative to the style of paring especially to the elevation of the hand. i pare really low when i started so it is easier for me to make the bevel i wanted. hope you guys can post your paring knives too. i built two of this and sold the other to a friend who happen to drop by my shop at home. i have enough steel to last me several years building them. :) thanks all!------ritch

post-6432-056947700 1310280484_thumb.jpg

Peter Main showed me his during a recent visit to his shop. I looks just like this one, but he had it wrapped in gray duck tape, if I remember correctly. I like the grip tape you have on your model. I hope it works well.

thanks King's X! have a great weekend!

How thick is the stock that's made from?

Cheers.