Sign in to follow this  
Bigjake80

How To Make A White Belt

Hello guys and gals

Im looking into making belts and stuff but i have a customer that needs a belt but he want just a plane White belt i can make the belt but just need help how to make it white ive looked into dye but i cant find a white dye could anyone out there help me out

thanks Jake

Generally, the only way to get "White" is to either paint it or get it white from the tannery. Please check with the suppliers listed at the top of the page- we like to support those that support us.

Tandy Leather in Austin had some white chrome tan. You can probably glue it down to a light veg tan lining and you'll have a white belt.

Fiebings produce a white dye - I have used the acrylic and it works quite well , would be no problem for belts

I've experimented with the white acrylic eco-flo product for belts, I have several people who want white leather belts. I use veg tanned leather. I find that if you thin it out then you get a better coating, you just have to go over it several times, letting it dry in between coats.

Hope that helps

Would you thin out the eco flo with water or dye thinner?

I've experimented with the white acrylic eco-flo product for belts, I have several people who want white leather belts. I use veg tanned leather. I find that if you thin it out then you get a better coating, you just have to go over it several times, letting it dry in between coats.

Hope that helps

Would you thin out the eco flo with water or dye thinner?

Always thin with the base, which in the case of Eco Flo is water.

Just personal experience but the Fiebings White Dye is anything but, it is more like milk and will not dye anything that I've tried white. I wanted to use it for painting eagle heads but it was not even close to white, pretty much transparent, so now I paint them with cova dyes, for a belt, I think I would check with Springfield Leather or one of the other suppliers, might be surprised. The chrome tan glued to a piece of Veg Tan seems like the way to go and gives you a belt with a smooth liner to boot.

Ken

They have a brand called Angelus leather paint. Anyone heard of it or know anything about it?

Just personal experience but the Fiebings White Dye is anything but, it is more like milk and will not dye anything that I've tried white. I wanted to use it for painting eagle heads but it was not even close to white, pretty much transparent, so now I paint them with cova dyes, for a belt, I think I would check with Springfield Leather or one of the other suppliers, might be surprised. The chrome tan glued to a piece of Veg Tan seems like the way to go and gives you a belt with a smooth liner to boot.

Ken

I've used Angelus dyes. They work quite well. I haven't tried any paints made by them though. I would assume they would be worth a try, as the rest of the Angelus line is good quality and they've been around forever.