Stitching Pony

Draw Gauge Versus Plough Gauge

Hi All

I am new to leatherwork and just setting myself up and getting my tool kit together.

Hoping someone can help me with a question.

Most of what I do made up of straps and I want to cut my own. I have a wooden strap cutter, its okay but doesnt really do the job as well as I would like.

I have seen a Plough Gauge in use and it does a lovely job of cutting straps, but to buy they are over $1200.00. That is way too expensive for me. I have found on ebay Draw Gauges at about $80.00, which I can afford, but I don'twant to buy it and then find it doesn't do what I want it to do as I have never seen one used.

Can someone tell me if a draw gauge is worth buying??

Thanks

Edited by Stitching Pony

Yes it is worth buying, however not for $1200. You can get an excellent one from Bruce Johnson for about $375 here.

Art

Hi All

I am new to leatherwork and just setting myself up and getting my tool kit together.

Hoping someone can help me with a question.

Most of what I do made up of straps and I want to cut my own. I have a wooden strap cutter, its okay but doesnt really do the job as well as I would like.

I have seen a Plough Gauge in use and it does a lovely job of cutting straps, but to buy they are over $1200.00. That is way too expensive for me. I have found on ebay Draw Gauges at about $80.00, which I can afford, but I don'twant to buy it and then find it doesn't do what I want it to do as I have never seen one used.

Can someone tell me if a draw gauge is worth buying??

Thanks

I know who you mean in regards to the $1200 don't buy any of the decent tools from them they are way overpriced go to the manufacturer http://www.josephdixon.co.uk/products/Saddlers_Tooling/Plough_Gauges.html and then do a currency conversion and you will see what I mean.

I picked one up from Ebay Oz last year for $170 they come up at fairly regular intervals, mine did need a bit of cleaning and the handle blade needed sharpening, though I think I'll replace the handle if I start doing alot of work with it. I haven't used a draw gauge so can't say what they are like but from what I have read here they should do what you want.

Clair

Each one of the strap cutters has an advantage. Here's what I use. For narrow straps under 5/8", I use a wooden strap cutter with a razor blade mostly. I have a good one that tracks pretty straight, they don't all do that. For straps from 5/8-1", I use a draw gauge. For anything over 1" for sure I use a plough gauge.

Between the draw gauge and plough gauge, the biggest differences are torque and sometimes applications. The wider the strap, the further the blade gets from the center of pull and the torque increases on draw gauges. The plough gauge is inline with the push so no torque. I cut up to 8" strips of latigo with a plough gauge without a wiggle. Sometimes I need to put a slit in a strap. The plough gauge can feed right into it and go. The roller on a plough gauge prevents that. On the upside, that roller keeps the leather from riding up the blade. It has to feed into the blade. With a draw gauge you need to have tension to pull against. I have a "third hand" cam clamp now, but before that relied on someone to hold the strap end while I pulled against it. Without help I screwed the end of the strap down to the bench or clamped it in a vise. With the plough gauge I can push and tension as I go or with heavier leather just push as fast I can walk the edge of the bench. Plough gauges go right on the bench top. A draw gauge has to go under the leather so you usually have the leather off the edge of the bench.

While I love my drawgauge(old wood grip osborne) I will for sure buy a plough gauge when I get the pennies. With my drawgauge I can cut up to 2" pretty easy anything over that I have to let the monkey out of the closet to help. I guess it depends on what your cutting the most of. If your cutting a lot of stuff 2" or better I would for sure get the plough gauge. But if your cutting a lot of stuff up to 1" or 2" I'd go with the drawgauge, Or if ya got money laying around buy both. I don't think you can go wrong buying ether from Bruce and you know they will be sharp and in great shape from him. And I'm not getting paid by him unless he wants to send me some money.LOL

anyway that's my 2cents

Mike

Fantastic Everyone,

Thats answered my question really well. I think it will be worth my while to wait till I save some money and purchase both. From what you guys have given me here it here it will cost me a lot less than I thought it would.

Thanks heaps

Enkess

You looked at Leffler, didn't you? I wouldn't buy anything from there unless it was something I absolutely couldn't get anywhere else. Their markups on things like tools are eye watering.

I've had some great service from them in the past in the times I was able to get the old man on the phone, but I think he died a while back and the last time I called them up they didn't know what I was asking for or where it was.

You looked at Leffler, didn't you? I wouldn't buy anything from there unless it was something I absolutely couldn't get anywhere else. Their markups on things like tools are eye watering.

I've had some great service from them in the past in the times I was able to get the old man on the phone, but I think he died a while back and the last time I called them up they didn't know what I was asking for or where it was.

Ha ha yep I know what you mean do they get customs to dip them into gold on the way through or something.

Clair

Actually, now that you mention it that might have something to do with it. I have found Australian customs charges usurious in other situations.