jack523

Adler Sewing Machine Model Number ?

I have found an old Adler machine with allot of clean up to do. The old man isgoing to clean it up; he said the model number is a Alder 2020.

Ihave looked at it and could not find a model number on it. It has 19" to20" from the back of the throat to needle and 8" of clearance. I did some looking at machine like it and its called a LONG Arm very heavy machine.

Ithas a chain pulley set-up with clutch motor. I would like some one to help me find some more info on this machine or tell me where to look the model number on this beast. The head is very heavy may weigh 200 Lbs.

Whatthe price of a machine like this my cost? He wants $2000 for it.

I want to start doing some heavy stitching work on leather. I think the this will make a good machine just needs allot clean up rusted in a few spots and missing a bobbin winder part. The old man said he will find the part.

Please help me gather info. I would appreciate it. Garry

Edited by jack523

It would be a good idea to post a pic so people have a better idea what it is that they are trying to help you with , all to often the model number someone tells you is wrong .

Good luck

Hi,

It is either a old Adler class 20-20 or a Adler class 220 50- 72 0r 50-272 ( 20 inch on or two needle long arm) with high lift. If its old 20-20, 2000 USD is way to much to pay regardless of state. But if its a class 220 high lift long arm it will bee worth some dollars. The last machine is mostly used for sail, awnings and tents. The class 20-20 is also for the same kind of work. But this is only speculation we need a picture. This are not machines set up for leather work, but it will stich thick materials.

You better speak to Cobra Steve or some other dealer here on the forum or look in the used section. You can buy a new 9 inch Juki 441 clone from one of the dealer for that price, set up for leather work, stitching thicker and doing mutch better job. Speak to Cobra Steve or the Cowboy dealers, you will get the best of machines and service.

Trox

quote name='jack523' timestamp='1310615557' post='205935']

I have found an old Adler machine with allot of clean up to do. The old man isgoing to clean it up; he said the model number is a Alder 2020.

Ihave looked at it and could not find a model number on it. It has 19" to20" from the back of the throat to needle and 8" of clearance. I did some looking at machine like it and its called a LONG Arm very heavy machine.

Ithas a chain pulley set-up with clutch motor. I would like some one to help me find some more info on this machine or tell me where to look the model number on this beast. The head is very heavy may weigh 200 Lbs.

Whatthe price of a machine like this my cost? He wants $2000 for it.

I want to start doing some heavy stitching work on leather. I think the this will make a good machine just needs allot clean up rusted in a few spots and missing a bobbin winder part. The old man said he will find the part.

Please help me gather info. I would appreciate it. Garry

As Trox mentioned, just because the Adler you are thinking about buying weighs 200 pounds and has a 20 inch body clearance, doesn't mean that it will make a good leather sewing machine. I have seen those long body Adlers, with one inch clearance under the feet, and they look like tanks. Nonetheless, these machines were built and setup for sewing sails, awnings, buffing wheels and car wash drying cloths. The buffing wheels and car wash cloths are thick, but made of cloth. They require a specialized high lift machine to sew them, and that's what these Adler 20-somethings are built to do.

Adler does make leather sewing machines. They include the model 204 and 205 and various sub-classes. I know of one member of this forum who has an Adler 204-374 for sale at a very good price. It sews up to 3/4 inch of leather, with a #25 system 794 needle, using #277 bonded nylon thread. The take-up and tension parts and the bobbin system are all designed to handle heavy thread, sewn into thick leather.

If you intend to sew sails, tents, awnings or buffing wheels, the old Adler 20-20 might be the perfect machine for those jobs.

I will get some pics for you to look at friday evening you can give me some pointers. I am looking for something that will punch a 277 thread at least. I just don't want make the mistake and buy something that will not work. I appreciate the help. I do have a Juki DNU-241, a Phaff cylinder bed, and a Phaff 338 zig zag. Thanks for the help.

As Trox mentioned, just because the Adler you are thinking about buying weighs 200 pounds and has a 20 inch body clearance, doesn't mean that it will make a good leather sewing machine. I have seen those long body Adlers, with one inch clearance under the feet, and they look like tanks. Nonetheless, these machines were built and setup for sewing sails, awnings, buffing wheels and car wash drying cloths. The buffing wheels and car wash cloths are thick, but made of cloth. They require a specialized high lift machine to sew them, and that's what these Adler 20-somethings are built to do.

Adler does make leather sewing machines. They include the model 204 and 205 and various sub-classes. I know of one member of this forum who has an Adler 204-374 for sale at a very good price. It sews up to 3/4 inch of leather, with a #25 system 794 needle, using #277 bonded nylon thread. The take-up and tension parts and the bobbin system are all designed to handle heavy thread, sewn into thick leather.

If you intend to sew sails, tents, awnings or buffing wheels, the old Adler 20-20 might be the perfect machine for those jobs.

i think you may have changed my mind on that old machine i looked at the one did he buy it from you?

Hi Jack,

Here in Scandinavia we use a lot of those big Adlers Wizcraft mentioned and older models to. That because nobody sell those upgraded Chinese 441 clones.

A 9 inch machine from Cowboy or Cobra is in that price range, and it will take thread from 69 to 415. You can also buy an upgrade mega flywheel for about 110 USD, that will make the machine an unbeatable lock stitcher. Sewing up to 7/8 of an inch in leather.

They comes complete with everything, servo, speed reducer and different feet`s.

All major sewing machine brands are manufactured in China now anyway, and the quality is good. It is a easy choise for you who live in the states.

You already have the machines for light work; with a 441 clone, your workshop will be complete for every sewing task.

Trox

quote name='jack523' timestamp='1310723192' post='206098']

i think you may have changed my mind on that old machine i looked at the one did he buy it from you?

But I will still like to se a picture, I collect old Adler machines

Trox

I will get some pics for you to look at friday evening you can give me some pointers. I am looking for something that will punch a 277 thread at least. I just don't want make the mistake and buy something that will not work. I appreciate the help. I do have a Juki DNU-241, a Phaff cylinder bed, and a Phaff 338 zig zag. Thanks for the help.

Sorry boys that deal did not go thru I was not willing to take the risk on that old machine. I know you "Sherlock Holmes" types out there would have liked to see those pics, it just was not worth the gas money to go back out on the other side of town and take the pics. Believe me i would have liked to know what it was myself. That old man had about six other machines just collecting dust.

Sometimes it feels like that little lost puppy, can't rescue them all. Thanks for your input.

But I will still like to se a picture, I collect old Adler machines

Trox

We are all here to help fellow leather workers; a picture is just a bonus. You did the right thing.

A few year ago those machine was worth a lot of dollars, but times are changing fast. I expect nobody to pay that much just to rescue a machine. I hope the old man will wake up soon and smell the coffee. Otherwise, the machines will die with him.

Trox

Sorry boys that deal did not go thru I was not willing to take the risk on that old machine. I know you "Sherlock Holmes" types out there would have liked to see those pics, it just was not worth the gas money to go back out on the other side of town and take the pics. Believe me i would have liked to know what it was myself. That old man had about six other machines just collecting dust.

Sometimes it feels like that little lost puppy, can't rescue them all. Thanks for your input.

Found a picture of a machine like the one i was looking at, it was an Adler 20-201 http://www.hobkirk.co.uk/images/pictures/industrial-second-hand/adler-20-201.jpg

You made a good choice to stay away from that machine,it's a double needle,look how big the feet are,you would never be able to sew close to a buckle & with the bottom feed like it has would leave teeh marks.

I have seen alot of people buy machines like these just because they were big & heavy they thought they would be good for leather & then find out the limitations afterwards.

THEN they want to trade them in for something that will do the job.

Bob

If you find an Adler 220 at a good pries BUY IT, it is a far superior machine to any Chines 441 clone or for that matter its better than a JUKI 441 if tooth marks in your work is a problem and if you don't want to file the teeth down just fill them in with JB weld, COBRA AND COWBOY 441 CLONES DO NOT LAST VERRY LONG YOU CAN ALREADY FIND THEM IN JUNK PILES the 220 Adler will last a life time I ran a new Cobra 441 clone in to the dirt in 90 days beyond repair, I was using Kevlar thread on polyester web 7hr a day five days a week for just short of 12 weeks, so there you go that is precisely the durability of a 441 clone. the phone number to my sewing factory is 509 315-5988 address 3038 E. Trent Spokane WA.99201 CO. name A.Adler web sling & tie down factory www.aadlerfactory.com

COBRA AND COWBOY 441 CLONES DO NOT LAST VERRY LONG YOU CAN ALREADY FIND THEM IN JUNK PILES :rofl:

I wonder how a Hiroshe hook and a Juki take-up lever would hold up with Kevlar thread.

You made a good choice to stay away from that machine,it's a double needle,look how big the feet are,you would never be able to sew close to a buckle & with the bottom feed like it has would leave teeh marks.

I have seen alot of people buy machines like these just because they were big & heavy they thought they would be good for leather & then find out the limitations afterwards.

THEN they want to trade them in for something that will do the job.

Bob

I see you know my life's story, yet we've never met. :')

COBRA AND COWBOY 441 CLONES DO NOT LAST VERRY LONG YOU CAN ALREADY FIND THEM IN JUNK PILES :rofl:

Where are these junk piles at? I'd pull one out

I have an old (1930's perhaps) Adler 20 20 and have been searching high and low for parts, operating manual and general information. It really isn't missing much but finding them is proving difficult. Can anybody point me in the right direction? Thanks. (photo attached)

post-46179-0-75208800-1382394037_thumb.j

Try contacting Michael Simard Ltd. in Canada. He has a ton of new old parts for Adlers and is a master Adler dealer. He told me Durkopp/Adler has come to him for old Adler parts that they can't get anymore. telephone number is 519-622-3766. Ask for Michael personally. shoepatcher

Be careful with old Adlers from before the war. The factories were bombed and they rebuild with new models and new designs. They just didn't manufacture any more parts for those "before war" machines. Parts are always a problem.

Chinese clones from reputable factories are actually pretty good, even the Adlers that were made there. I use a Chinese clone to sew fire retarding, proofing, and suppression equipment. Set up from the factory just as the original 441. Kevlar thread takes its toll on sewing parts and the thread path, but those parts are easily replaced, and readily available. This is one of the good things about the 441 and it's clones; there are gazillions of parts, just a short drive or a phone call away. I've had the big 441 for over 4 years, and it sews a lot at 800 spm for days and days in a row. I do oil it often, and occasionally replace a thread guide now and again, but needles are really the part that wears out.

All of the dealers that I know also warrant their products fully, if there is a junk pile with Cobras in it, let me at it.

Art

Thank you Shoepatcher, I'll give him a call.

Thank you Art. I believe the Adler is pre-war, guess it's the challenge of the chase. :blink:

Shoepatcher - the number you supplied is the fax, office number is (519) 622-0850 and they have a website http://simards.com/ thanks again!

Hello Bkyjones

Art, they missed that factory making the Kochs Adler, (but hit a Dürkopp factory among others, these made war material too. Not only sewing machines, but motor bikes, car and only God knows what) because this particular class was made until 1975. The class 20 was the heaviest class they made, some of the subclasses has as much as 40 mm foot lift. Others only 16 mm.

Then it was replaced by the class 120. The class 20 changed the color to Adler green sometimes along that time period. What is the subclass number of your class 20-?, its on the little plate on the head.

In the world of Industrial sewing machines where everybody copies each other, you can find parts from other brand machines that will fit yours too. I have an opinion about who copied who, but I will keep it to myself (this time).

The Singer class 7 shuttle and shuttle race will fit, maybe other parts as well. See this topic for more information http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=49777#entry322368

And here you will find some of the documentation you need,

http://sew24.blogspot.no/p/downloads.html

part list and manual. You will need a part list to find the part you need, a manual that comes as an bonus. If there are some part you cant find anywhere you can have it custom made. Talk to Thomas Brinkhoff (head of spare parts Dürkopp Adler) He runs this blog, he might be able to help you too. If there is a part you cannot find, let me know. Perhaps I know a address for you, or an solution.

Good luck

Tor

i have an old adler machine too but i don't know much about it. i think it could be the same as the one in topic here so i'm hoping someone might be able to tell me something about it? i have no use for it so i'm just wondering would it be worth selling? i will post a few photos. thanks in advancepost-48621-0-67647800-1389571316_thumb.jpost-48621-0-31920000-1389571326_thumb.jpost-48621-0-17471700-1389571337_thumb.jpost-48621-0-84801800-1389571345_thumb.jpost-48621-0-86678000-1389571354_thumb.j

It´s an Adler 20. It seems to have a very limited stitch length regulator. Pretty bad shape. Interesting is the tag that says US Property so it was probably used by the US military. I personally would probably buy just because of the tag but I live on the other side of the pond. :-(