Here's a half-breed I just finished up on one of Jon Watsabaugh's fine trees. The fork was kind of a custom job between a Wade and a 13" swell fork. The silver was done by Gary Wiggin's who was recently featured in Western Horseman Magazine... does very nice work.

Darcy

half%20breed%203.JPG

half%20breed%208.JPG

half%20breed%204.JPG

half%20breed%207.JPG

half%20breed.JPG

half%20breed%202.JPG

half%20breed%206.JPG

half%20breed%2011.JPG

Very nice saddle Darcy.

Jon's trees are exceptional. I think a nice tree really shows in a nice saddle.

Nice silver also.

Love the skirt rigging.

Nice little concho on the rope strap.

Excellent work.

Why do you not tool the binder?

Again, very nice.

thanks guys,

Troy, I've never carved a cantle binding before but if I could do one thing different on that saddle, I'd sure try and carve it.

Steve, Hope I haven't missed too much, I've been a bit busy lately but things are winding down a bit and I've had some time the last few weeks for reading the forum.

Darcy

Darcy,

Great to see you back.

The saddle as Steve and Troy have already mentioned looks great. It is always great to see your posts because you share so many views of the saddle and so much detail. Glad that you are catching your breath.

Regards,

Ben

Darc,

I haven't seen your work lately, glad you posted this one. Very nice as the guys have already said. I also like the way you incorporate your rear cinch keeper into the seat cover, makes for a clean look. Again, very nice.

Bob

thanks for the comments guys.

Bob, that keeper isn't part of the ear of the seat, it's actually a seperate piece of leather so it's easy to replace if it ever rips through the slot. I think a guy could probably cut it as part of the ear of the seat and if it tore through, trim it down to a regualar shaped ear and replace it with a simple keeper like the one in the picture... I might just try that sometime.

Darcy

Looking Good Darcy,

Was that one of Jon's rawhide or his epoxy /fiberglass trees.??

:notworthy: I agree with all . Very nice saddle and clear work :notworthy:

Well I'll say the same as everyone else, and add....

You sure do a sweet job on stitching!!

Joel

thanks for the comments guys.

Bob, that keeper isn't part of the ear of the seat, it's actually a seperate piece of leather so it's easy to replace if it ever rips through the slot. I think a guy could probably cut it as part of the ear of the seat and if it tore through, trim it down to a regualar shaped ear and replace it with a simple keeper like the one in the picture... I might just try that sometime.

Darcy

Yeah, after I looked at it closer, I noticed it, but; it gave me the idea, and that's why I like to look at every one else' work, for ideas.

Bob

Real nice rig Darc.

very clean nice lines, and great job on the carving.

I like the tree, it sure looks like a Swade. :)

Thanks to everyone for the words...

Steve,

it's funny, the customer was asking me a few days ago what the tree style is called and I explained that the fork is a bit different than a Selway Packer or a wood post Will James and that I wasn't sure there was an official name for it. A bit later I remembered one of your posts mentioning a similar tree that you started calling a "Swade". I've made a few of them now and the guys riding them say they like the style of fork... Perhaps we need to make the name official or something cause I've been telling each customer they can name the tree after themselves... should make for some good feuding if they ever run into each other! :whistle:

Darcy

Edited by D.A. Kabatoff

Darcy,

My vote is for Steve's Swade as an official name... I guess if they are going to feud about the name of their saddle tree then you could call one a Hatfield and the next one a McCoy. Then start over. :surrender:

Regards,

Ben

Great looking saddle Darcy, you certainly give me something to aspire too! I have looked at Steve's Swade and think its a pretty nice marriage. I would think a Mason Swade would give the credit where its due. The tree will certainly get some following.

Tom