Leather Guru

Old European Leather Tools

Hello Dear people,

My name is Ralph Baggaley, I'm an american and I work in Belgium since 1972.

I have a large collection of leather tools that I bought over the years in markets and in Paris. The tools I collect are made by www.vergez-blanchard.fr

Some of my tools are at least 100 years old. If you would like to see them send mails and I'll take photos and post them.

Let me know,

Leather Guru.

Ralph,

Please post the pictures you have. I have several Blanchard plough gauges and one or two from Mayer-Flamery that are very nice also. I have a Mayer-Flamery knife too. I've gopt a few Dixon and Barnsley tools as well.

Hello Dear people,

My name is Ralph Baggaley, I'm an american and I work in Belgium since 1972.

I have a large collection of leather tools that I bought over the years in markets and in Paris. The tools I collect are made by www.vergez-blanchard.fr

Some of my tools are at least 100 years old. If you would like to see them send mails and I'll take photos and post them.

Let me know,

Leather Guru.

I have a couple of old edgers which I suspect are Vergez-Blanchard brand. The metal parts are double ended with a different size edger on each end and are removable from the wooden handle, so you just pull out the edger of one size, turn it and insert it into the handle and you have a different size edger. I´d like to know it they are V-Blanchard tools. Can you identify them if I get o pic of them? The wooden handles are very plain and made of hardwood.

They originate from a local saddlery which closed down 30 - 40 years ago and had been stored in a bag until the old saddler left this world. Got a call that the tools were for sale I managed to buy all his handtools ( 83 tools) in one batch, and at a discount price. His family, from whom I bought them, were very pleased with the thought that the tools would come to life again so they gave me a good deal.

/ Knut

Hello you guys,

Where did you get all those plow knives Bruce ? I only have 3 and I'm jealous.

Anyway, it's my girl friend who takes pictures and she's at home at the moment but as soon as she is here I'll do the photos.Lots of those old tools have ebony handles !

Vergez-blanchard are still making these tools in the same way as before. I am going to see their atelier in August and I'll do a reportage for you guys.

Later,

Ralph

Hallo Ralph,

hast Du noch Werkzeuge von Blanchard zu verkaufen ??

Ich bin auf der Suche nach guten Lederwerkzeugen:)

Schönen Gruß vom See ( Germany)

Arno

Edited by Handwerker

Ralph. Are you looking to sell these or are you just letting us view them in all their glory?

Here is a pic of my old edgers ( most likely European)

The metal parts have different size on each end and can be reversed into the handle.

Handles are made of beech wood.

Can these be identified as old Blanchard tools?

Knut

post-5173-066344300 1334595418_thumb.jpg

Now you are going to make me go look, Knut. I think I have a few tools with the shanks like that. I never thought to pull them out and look at the other end.

Now you are going to make me go look, Knut. I think I have a few tools with the shanks like that. I never thought to pull them out and look at the other end.

Looking forward for a report!

/ Knut

there are a few photos on my site www.leather-tools.net you may like

Beautiful catalog,

I have see pictures of your 1950 catalog, it looks like you still make all the old tools?

I have a plough gauge marked J. Dixon and a round knife marked T. Dixon. The last one I just bought second hand, it came unsharpend (never used). Is the T. Dixon the oldest of them?

You make great tools.

Trox

there are a few photos on my site www.leather-tools.net you may like

Hi I am new to this site and to the craft. My daughter and I just attended a Medieval Festival in our home town of Colchester Essex U.K. and I wanted to try and make a pair of medieval style shoes to wear at the festival. :( I do not have the knowledge or the tools to do so, but after speaking to someone about it, he kindly gave me all of his uncles old tools that he could find and among them there are some stamped DIXON. I have no idea what is what, but your website has now given me a few names for the tools. Such as edge iron, double crease, bevel crease etc.. Now all I have to do is learn how to use them :) These are just a few out of more than 30 pieces.

DSCF1681.JPG

Edited by wildmantel

Very nice tools!

First thing you should do is remove all rust before you use them.. DO NOT USE CHEMICALS or Sand Paper to remove the rust. Use a razor blade to scrape away heavy rust then a small fine wire brush and steel wool. When all rust is removed clean with something like 409, rinse very well and dry with a cloth followed by a hair dryer. Do not get the wood handles wet. Clean the wood handles with a soft cloth and give them a light rubbing with some oil designed for wood. Finish things off with a good paste wax made for autos. Wax the wood and metal, let dry and buff with soft cloth.

They will be good for another 100 years.