While going through the old barns of a farm inherited by my husband we found an old Calvary saddle. I know enough about them to know what it was but not much beyond that. A friend who is a Calvary buff suggested that it is a 1900's McClellan. My husband has a rich military heritage and we assume it belonged to somebody in the family as we have discovered other military (Civil War and on) relics. I am intending to do a full restoration of the saddle to either ride in myself, or keep as a family heirloom. I have done a few minor tack restorations but this will be my biggest project yet and as you can see from the pictures it needs a lot of work. I would appreciate any tips, tricks, or suggestions. Where in the world do I start! I will try to get some better pictures as these were taken when we discovered the saddle from my phone!

95r7h4.jpg

ejwoz4.jpg

What you have found is a model 1904 miliary saddle. The 1904 was the first to me made in brown color and was made thry 1940.

my father rode one like this chasing Poncho Villa around Mexico and during WW1. Weaver Leather carries a complete line of restoration

pieces. Good Luck.

With out seeing the actual rigging on the saddle i would say that it is a 1928 model. The 1904's did not have the skirt attached to the saddle. The rigging attached over the front and rear with adjustable straps. The changes from the 04 to the 28 changed from this rigging to an English style three buckle system and added the skirts. During the change over the saddlers in the field were provided materials to make the skirt and rigging addition to may 04's. With a closer look at the pictures this is a field modified 04. You can see where they cut the old style rigging straps when they made the change.

The first picture is a 28 and the second is an 04

post-7445-035961000 1311691925_thumb.jpg

post-7445-038921500 1311692028_thumb.jpe

Edited by Treed