Young Gun

Greetings From Maine!

Hello All,

As my username implies I'm young, only just turning 20, many of the members on this forum have been working with leather longer than I have been alive!! With just my tinkering with leather, reading various books, and the aid of this great great website, which I will soon be a contributing member because it is soooo great, have learned quite a bit about leather craft. I want to learn so much more though and I'm having a hard time finding learning opportunities in the area. I have even e-mailed the maine.gov official about leather apprenticeship opportunities, but she couldn't help me on the matter. Also my nearest Tandy store is hundreds of miles away so that isn't really a realistic option to take any classes there.

Leather work is such a great craft and skill I really want to keep it alive within my generation, so I was hoping my fellow Mainers on the forum, or anybody, might have some ideas of where I could go to further hone my skills? Any suggestions and ideas are welcome!

-Casey

Hello Young Gun and welcome to the forum. I am sure that you will be able to find a lot of information on here to help you sort of in a 'self help' mode. Maybe a few of your area leather workers will chime in to help you pick up some hot spots. I would suggest that you try your local Tandy Leather Factory for more information on local gatherings. I checked my latest Leather Crafter's and Saddler's journal under the leather guild directory and did not see anything near you. Sorry.

King's X has the right of it--lots and lots of self-help on here and I'm sure someone nearby will pop in soon.

I have a few ideas for you based on what I can find locally and my experiences.

Co-op Extension Service Agents, especially the liaisons for 4-H and FFA, and the local Boy Scout Council/Troop Leaders might be able to put you in touch with leatherworkers that teach the youth in your area. You might be able to find someone who'd be willing to teach in exchange for help at some of the youth classes and camps. Fair warning though--Be prepared for various levels of chaos if you go this route. Chaos and kids go hand-in-hand and the more kids, the more the chaos! (From personal experiences, I would avoid anything that would involve teaching those under 11 or 12 years old and teaching groups of youth larger than 5 or 6 youth per instructor. I also recommend a parent or other adult for every 5 or 6 kids under the age of about 15. Kids under 11 tend to get bored to quickly, while more than 6 at a time means a lot of horse play and not much actually paying attention.)

Feed and Ranch Supply houses are also good places to wander into and talk to the owners and customers. Especially the Mom-and-Pop types. You'll know you have the right spot when you find the folks who make their own tack, wallets, and boots, or know who does make the stuff. Feed and Ranch stores are also great place to get things like saddle soaps, leather conditioners, and cleaners (lexol, lexol non-darkening, neatsfoot oil, etc.) if you don't have access to a leather store. Shipping costs on liquids can be a bear (no pun intended), so I buy the big bottles at the ranch supply down the street.

Find the people with horses and you'll find the people with tack--and those who repair it, make it, and sell it. Talk to the DVMs, farriers, and blacksmiths. Find the local equestrians groups--they usually have a newsletter that sometimes lists classes that can be attended by the public.

Horse shows, county and state fairs, ren faires, rendezvous (aka mountain man jamborees), rodeos...I seem to recall that Maine has Cavalry Reenactors? Reenactors, especially of the Civil War and Revolutionary War have makers that supply their gear or they make their own. While at these events, find a maker and see if they offer classes or would be willing to trade some instruction for some help. Ask about short-term "apprenticeships"--they teach, and you help with the work--watch the local labor regs on this though. Some regs require that a wage be paid and taxes collected, some don't as long as no money changes hands. (Several jewelers I know have done this to learn some of the more obscure techniques and the instructors are happy to have the help. Most of them don't mind teaching either, as each person tends to have their own style and will take what they learn and go their own direction with it, so direct competition with similar products is a fairly rare occurrence.)

WinterBear,

Great tips! I will for sure for sure take your advice into action!!

Good luck. Oh, one word of warning. If you're looking to talk to FFA/4-H, county and state fair folk--be sure you aren't trying to talk to them during the week leading up to or the week of county/state fair. They'll be busier than you can believe and stressed to the max. Especially those in charge of getting county exhibits, exhibitors, and animals to state fair.

go online and google shop talk! Proleptic.net Dan should be able to find someone or point you in the right direction, they're mainers now! Might be close to you even!

-Andrew

http://www.brettunsvillage.com/# These guys are leather suppliers in Auburn they may have some info on learning opportunities. I googled directions to Tandy in Chelmsford MA it's a 3.5 hr drive. If they were having a class it would be worth the drive. I've been in there a few times and the people are great.

Scott