Sign in to follow this  
Sixer

Triple Ostrich Inlay!

Ok... so it seems lately that customers can't just order a simple black/brown OWB or IWB holster. Haha... it's got to be something that causes me to lose sleep and actually use what little creative juices I may have :)

Anyway, this customer had a pair of "checkered" ostrich skin boots in three colors. He wanted a holster done in the same pattern to match his boots. Since I hand stitch everything, I didn't see how a checkered pattern was reasonable. So, after some thought, I decided to try out this inlay pattern that still incorporated the same 3 colors of ostrich to match his boots.

He's pretty excited about it! Even though it's not exactly something I would wear... I think it turned out pretty good in both form and function.

Just thought I'd share my adventures in ostrich. Comments, critiques, etc, welcome.

Thanks!

post-13450-035606600 1311357473_thumb.jp

post-13450-032390800 1311357483_thumb.jp

Good job! Very innovative way to incorperate the three colors. I like it.

Well Sixer, like you say, it ain't something I'd wear BUT you done good! Off hand, I can't think of any other way to go. Good Job. Mike

Thanks for the kind words! It may not win any beauty contests... but I have to admit, I was pretty proud that this one turned out the way it did on the first go around.

Dude what are you talking about, that holster is sweet! Great job on the thumb break as well.

What color did you dye the bovine leather? Looks like a cordovan but mine always comes out way darker than that.

Dude what are you talking about, that holster is sweet! Great job on the thumb break as well.

What color did you dye the bovine leather? Looks like a cordovan but mine always comes out way darker than that.

Thanks Shooter!

I used Fiebings "Dark Brown" Pro Oil dye on the bovine leather, with a coat of atom wax, and leather sheen as a top coat... I think the lighting in the pic makes it look a bit lighter than it actually is.

This is really nice. Thanks for sharing.

Nicely done and creative.Dave