Gawdzilla

Bracelet Fasteners, What's Good?

I make trinkets for the Endangered Wolf Center Gift Shop. They want me to make wolf-themed bracelets for adults and kids. So far I have looked at snaps and velcro for the bracelets. What I'm wondering is if any of you have a clever way to fasten a bracelet that you'd recommend. There needs to be room to adjustment if possible, I can't do every bracelet in every size, some of them would never sell and as I'm donating the materials and labor my budget doesn't allow that "massive response" to the issue.

Any help appreciated.

Little buckle or a small sam brown stud?

Just an idea

Make the top part the thicker wider leather, and have leather laces to tie together.

Velcro dies after awhile, but it will last a long time. I have had wristwatch bands that were velcro that I liked.

You could do it like a welding helmet where there is one stud, and a series of holes to adjust for the individual's head. This would require a loop to secure the loose end.

Another method would be to use the strips that Tandy has/had for the woven lace bracelets. Essentially it was a thin strip of steel that the lace was woven around. This allowed the bracelet to be bent to fit, and it would hold its shape. A wire woven under the edge by lace could work too.

A lot will depend on the budget per item.

I use line 20 snaps, and I makes bracelets in 8 to 9 1/2" lengths. Sometimes I'll make them "adjustable" by placing two female ends of the snaps on the one end of the band.

Thanks for the tips. :hugs:

I'm wondering if there isn't a kind of fastener that would be easily adjustable to the end user and be "low tech" as well. I lean toward the 1850s/1860s with this kind of thing when I can. I like to point to the dense woods at the Center and ask them what they would think of going through there in a Conestoga wagon drawn by four to six horses. The Center is just west of St. Louis so the Forty-niners would have gone through there regularly on their way to the gold fields, if they didn't take river transport up the Missouri.

If you can find them a "BRASS CONWAY" buckle would fit the bill............

Make a button out of a stick on one side and loop a piece of leather around it from the other side.

Or you could go for a hook and eye type arrangement. This one is a bow tie clip.. but a bra hook and eye set might work also.

post-19292-064056200 1311543666_thumb.jp

Edited by Ladykahu

Make a button out of a stick on one side and loop a piece of leather around it from the other side.

I was considering making a cylinder button do the job. I was going to put 3-4 holes on each end, so the user could thread the loop on the cylinder button in one and out the next and then loop over the button. I'll have to test this on my bracelet tester. (She'll demand diner at Red Lobster again, I just know it. :( )

I found some Line 20 snaps and some glove snaps. The glove snaps look perfect for the more delicate bracelets and the Line 20's will do for the heavier ones. I'm getting some resistance from the Center in regard to doing some really punk cuffs. :blahblahblah: