Sign in to follow this  
SnappingDragon

The Backside Of Masks

Hi there,

I was just wondering what everyone does to the backside of their masks? Someone that was working my booth at a show recently spoke with a fellow that was dancing in a leather mask that was unfinished on the inside (not one of my masks) and the mask started to lose its shape due to the amount of sweat. I use acrylic paint to color the outside of my masks and any parts that you can see from the side or back on the backside. The part that touches the face I have been leaving unfinished as I find that is the most comfortable for wearing. Hearing from this fellow had me thinking I should be putting finish on the backsides though. I was wondering if you do put finish on the backs what kind of finish would be best. I wouldn't want anything that had a lingering smell to it. I sell at festivals where people are wearing my masks dancing and I wouldn't want someone to have one of my masks collapse on them. (Also in case it's relevant to your answer I mostly make masks out of 4-5oz leather).

hi dragon, i have always airbrushed the backside of my masks, mainly because i prefer the look, i then spray with a finishing gloss sealer.

cheers

Thanks for your reply letheroo. :)

I haven't done masks before, but thinking about it I would probably either use a sealer or actually line the inside with a soft skin. Something cheap, but soft that would be comfortable and could take brunt of the sweat and skin oils. This probably wouldn't be a problem with a ceremonial mask or something that is pretty open with fine carving, but I would definitely line a mask someone planned to ware for long periods of time or is going to be active in like dance. A cheap lining suede or lining cowhide with a soft hand would do it.

Edited by Glendon

I typically seal the back with whatever I'm sealing the front with. Lately it's been leather sheen.