madwilson

Iridescent Colours Question

Hi there, I am new to this forum but have been dabbling in leatherwork for many years - mainly self taught. Most of what I have learnt has come from the Al Stohlman books. There don't appear to be many other written resources around although we do have a fellow in Oz who has written a few books. He covers quite a lot about plaiting leather for belts, whips etc. His name is Ron Edwards.

I have now been brought to a bit of a stand still as I would like to try doing some colouring using irridescent colours as described in Al Stohlman's Figure Carving Finesse on page 70. He talks about using metallic powders used for ceramics and mixing them with "Tandy Coat" leather finish. I have looked everywhere and nothing seems to come up with that name. Has anyone done some colouring with the metallic powders and if so can they point me in the direction of the medium they use to put them on or else tell me what is the correct name of the product he is refering to. I haven't been able to find anywhere in Australia that seems to sell the Tandy finishes to see if they have the one mentioned in the book.

This looks like a great forum and I hope to be able to get some good tips as well as passing on some of mine.

Some of the acrylic paints have metallic colors. You can find them in craft stores.

I have now been brought to a bit of a stand still as I would like to try doing some colouring using irridescent colours as described in Al Stohlman's Figure Carving Finesse on page 70. He talks about using metallic powders used for ceramics and mixing them with "Tandy Coat" leather finish. I have looked everywhere and nothing seems to come up with that name. Has anyone done some colouring with the metallic powders and if so can they point me in the direction of the medium they use to put them on or else tell me what is the correct name of the product he is refering to. I haven't been able to find anywhere in Australia that seems to sell the Tandy finishes to see if they have the one mentioned in the book.

Hello madwilson - welcome to LW!

I have seen the metallic powders, but I'm guessing that "Tandy Coat" is no longer sold, since I'm pretty sure they don't have anything by that name nowadays. Someone may know what the closest equivilant is.

But there are some very nice alternatives available these days, and ever since I discovered products like the "pearlized" colors from Createx and the iridescent line of acrylics from Daniel Smith, I've had no desire to look any further into experimenting with the metallic powders.

Kate

There is the stuff they use to paint unglazed bisque (aka clay that is fired once to cure it from green ware, or wet clay, to bisque ware fired clay) might be what he was speaking of. Bisque is often painted with pastels and acrylics. The stuff most often used is an acrylic medium, often in unique colors and finishes. Duncan is one brand I have used (Liquid Pearl, Ultra Metallic, and the stains), along with Lusters, Pearls, Metallics, and Translucents in other brands. Some of the stuff does come as a powder that is brushed on as an accent, but it can be harder to use. Most of the ones I used were easier in the pre-mixed form, which for some of the metallics is the metallic powder in a clear or tinted suspension of acrylic medium.

I've seen some stuff here where the makers used acrylics and seal with an acrylic sealer (Super Sheen and others), so maybe you can substitute your powders with thinned-down metallic acrylics and do a little experimenting on scrap?

welcome madwilson, i use alot of irisdcent and pearl colors....in australia i find the best to be from the Matisse range and Jo Sonja range. The sonja range is a lot cheaper but still very good. Both water down nicely to go through my airbrush. Matisse is available in good art stores while sonja range is available at Spotlight.

cheers

I have use the jo sonjas as well.. and some of the jaquard lumiere range have wonderfull metalics that the jo sonjas don't cover

http://www.jacquardproducts.com/products/paints/lumiere/

available in aus, but a bit harder to track down than the jo sonjas. I got mine at the craft and quilt show and mail order from a place in geelong (was the cheapest I could find)

Natalie