Art

Needles And Threads

You want 16x2 or DBx2 for that machine. That number is called the "system". 

Then you need to pick size (generally the diameter of the needle) based on the thread you are using.

For size 33 (commercial) thread like I use on boot tops, I use a size 14 needle, but anything from 12 to 15 might work. 

On this link from Groz-Beckert I find both 16x2 and 16x257 needles. The sizes are from 55/7 up to 110/18.
https://my.groz-beckert.com/irj/portal/sewing#navurl://883c12ee6117b6739051dc523b91b68e?0

You want the 16x2. Here's a list of needles you may want to consider from the thread exchange.

https://www.thethreadexchange.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=SRCHFA&Search=16x2 

Thank you all so much!  This has been invaluable!  I just ordered from thread exchange!

It looks like the Organ 135X16 DPX16 Leather Needles do in fact have an LR or RTW. On some listings, the point type is not stated, but the MFG PN does state LR point.  I hope this helps someone in the future!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0773KBM6N/ref=twister_B0773KS1L8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

can somebody help me out here, i have been through as many charts as i can find both on this site and on other places on the web and i am as confused as a confused person 

just ordered a Claes 8346/30 patcher from Germany, the needle size according to the claes manual is a system 88 ( on the packet of needles on a us supplier site it reads 88 DUx1 120/4)   can anyone tell me the UK needle size that this converts to, i have spoken to two suppliers of industrial machines in the uk and drawn a blank with both, before i call anyone else can someone suggest the conversion  if i do a search for that needle then all i get is a couple of US suppliers and a load of other confusion 

Edited by solutions4feet

With my Singer 132k6 came a large box of needles. 

216x3 ,  23/160 . The text on the needles show a 23 KY code .

As far as I know they are for Cloth !?  And what means the KY ? There's also a scarf in this model .

PSX_20210411_135826.jpg

PSX_20210411_135950.jpg

PSX_20210411_140344.jpg

Edited by Wizcrafts
Removed triplicate text and fixed some typos.

Nobody who has an answer :(

1037555409_PginasdesdeMetwar2.jpg.42ca44edd531dc4ee78de985dc45c5eb.jpg

:whistle::whistle: Round point is for cloth and spear or triangle point is for leather.

Edited by jimi

Not a clue :dunno: this is from Ismacs needle chart....this is the only thing i can see with XY not K referring to needles???

Note: A. Bryson published this list of machines with the following note: “Davis S.M. Co. machines with tension (sic) on top of arm take needle X (1X is given as 1x2); those with the tension on the side, or on the face plate, take needle Y (15x1)”

Edited by jimi

2 hours ago, jimi said:

Not a clue :dunno: this is from Ismacs needle chart....this is the only thing i can see with XY not K referring to needles???

Note: A. Bryson published this list of machines with the following note: “Davis S.M. Co. machines with tension (sic) on top of arm take needle X (1X is given as 1x2); those with the tension on the side, or on the face plate, take needle Y (15x1)”

Thanks!

It ain't easy to find exact info .

A 132k6 = 216x1 or 216x2 needles . The one i use works ( fine ) with 216x3 :wacko: . Why a 3 instead a 1 or 2 type ? could you ask .

In this box are still more than 100 needles.  When new out of the shop probably 200+ . So I think they did get the right needle for the right job !? 

Edited by Oldiesfan

Don´t worry too much about needle - it will cause headaches.  :lol: There are several thousand different needle systems for different machines and similar needles sometimes have different "names".

You can use System 214, 216 & 328 needles in your machine 214 & 328 are the same, 216 are a bit different around the tip (at least my 216 are a bit different compared with 214 / 328). On 214 & 216 the prefix (1, 2, 3, 5, 7....) is most likely and old description for a certain needle tip.

Really - don´t worry too much. 216 is not very common today that's why 214 / 328 is used instead. It would not surprise me when you order 216 you may get 214 in a 216 marked package instead. I have heard when you order 332 you may get 135x17 instead (same needle length but 332 has no scarf on the needle).

Regarding KY - not sure but maybe Singer had different facilities for manufacturing needles and one maybe was in Kentucky = KY. But that's a very wild guess. ;)

Edited by Constabulary

Looking at how the needle box has " X " printed the letter stamped in the needle looks like the same old style typeface set so it may very well be  "X Y " or "X V" not  "K Y" .

kgg

14 minutes ago, kgg said:

Looking at how the needle box has " X " printed the letter stamped in the needle looks like the same old style typeface set so it may very well be  "X Y " or "X V" not  "K Y" .

kgg

Some parts of the X on the box are worn off . I looked at maybe 30 needles and they all were showing a K Y . Not an X .

44 minutes ago, Constabulary said:

Don´t worry too much about needle - it will cause headaches.  :lol: There are several thousand different needle systems for different machines and similar needles sometimes have different "names".

You can use System 214, 216 & 328 needles in your machine 214 & 328 are the same, 216 are a bit different around the tip (at least my 216 are a bit different compared with 214 / 328). On 214 & 216 the prefix (1, 2, 3, 5, 7....) is most likely and old description for a certain needle tip.

Really - don´t worry too much. 216 is not very common today that's why 214 / 328 is used instead. It would not surprise me when you order 216 you may get 214 in a 216 marked package instead. I have heard when you order 332 you may get 135x17 instead (same needle length but 332 has no scarf on the needle).

Regarding KY - not sure but maybe Singer had different facilities for manufacturing needles and one maybe was in Kentucky = KY. But that's a very wild guess. ;)

Thanks for explaining and the no worries.  

But ! ... i didn't worry haha . This because it is sewing oké. 

So because of a certain needle tip they choose probably a 216 - 3 type instead a 1 or 2 as ISMACS is mentioning for a 132k ( 6 ) version .

The quality of Singer Needles is ? 

The 132ksv18 came with a bunch of Schmetz needles. 

The Old man didn't want anything else .

Is Singer still today producing Industrial needles ? 

Edited by Oldiesfan

Singer is no longer existing as a manufacturer thought the brand name still exists. Singer made needles in the UK and Germany as well but thats all long gone.

Needle manufacturers are a story of its own....

Schmetz needle packages were marked with "Made in Germany" for a long time then later "Made by Schmetz" and current packages have no "Made" markings - see what I mean ;) But you can still buy Schmetz needles marked made in Germany (older stock I guess).

In Germany we had Rhein Nadel, SNF (Singer), Schmetz, METWAR, Groz Beckert, Leo Lammertz (all great quality needles) and several others.

The last two were Groz Beckert and Schmetz but a few years ago Groz Beckert bought Schmetz (Groz Beckert bought most of them afaik). And AFAIK the GB needles nowadays are all manufactured in Asia nowadays.

EDIT:

https://www.groz-beckert.com/en/company/history/

IMG_3031.thumb.JPG.edd5031b49d007e2e865cb60477c0c31.JPG

Edited by Constabulary

I bought a packet of needles for the domestic old singer machine we have and they were marked Singer and made in Brasil....some bent others the eye not finished....the worst lot of needles i have bought so far!!! 

just got a Consew 206rb3 and it didn't come with any needles or thread.  i'm going to be using the machine to sew belts, wallets and tool pouches.  when hand stitching I usually do .8 ritza tiger thread.  What would be the best needle thread combo.  thanks in advance for any help. 

8 hours ago, 4squareleather said:

just got a Consew 206rb3 and it didn't come with any needles or thread.  i'm going to be using the machine to sew belts, wallets and tool pouches.  when hand stitching I usually do .8 ritza tiger thread.  What would be the best needle thread combo.  thanks in advance for any help. 

You can use a #138 w/a #22 needle.

Help needed with this thread type .

I can buy these voor 10 € a piece.  It's a type of thread coming from the Dutch Army .

Probably a ( Specal ) Cotton thread .

Is it worth the money and what can you Sew with this thread?

PSX_20210515_091714.jpg

PSX_20210515_091814.jpg

PSX_20210515_092110.jpg

Edited by Oldiesfan

For as far i know it's a Cotton Z- Twist size 8 thread.

I

This looks similar to the thread used for sewing soles on shoes but not sure?? I have some rolls for sewing sandals but it is linen thread not cotton.

20210515_161111.jpg.4379ffa50ab09a6a62cbd39d7a3699a8.jpg20210515_161554.jpg.e6370e6d6c9f1fd32091121f3d985718.jpg

Edited by jimi

56 minutes ago, jimi said:

This looks similar to the thread used for sewing soles on shoes but not sure?? I have some rolls for sewing sandals but it is linen thread not cotton.

20210515_161111.jpg.4379ffa50ab09a6a62cbd39d7a3699a8.jpg20210515_161554.jpg.e6370e6d6c9f1fd32091121f3d985718.jpg

I ordered 3 rolls instead of all 12 . Let's say it's Cotton thread in this type i asked questions about . For what kind of sewing work can you use that thread ?

See label and Nsn 

10 € a roll = cheap or expensive?

Edited by Oldiesfan