Jbarv Bulls

Observation From The Inexperienced

Ive been working with leather for a couple of months now. Mostly I buy the #2 import hides to build knife sheaths, spur straps, belts and trinkets to sell to tourists. I had always marveled at the stamp impressions , dyeing, and edges that some of the members on here have been posting and wondered how in the world they accomplished it.

Yesterday, I went over to a friends saddle shop and believe I have solved the mystery of how these guys accomplished such professional looking work. Quality Leather ..... He gave me some of his scrap W/C hides.... I immediately figured out where I have been going wrong and what was causing most of my problems. Amazing the difference. From now on, all of my custom projects will be made from nothing else.

Although the quality of the leather used is important, it is not the only factor involved. Tools, Time, Practice, Leaning and Talent are also involved. Even if someone bought me the same equipment that the top of the line professional baseball players use, I will still be a mediocre baseball player. Over time with lots of practice I might even be a good player and make it to a AAA / semi pro. My athletic abilities apply better to Cross Country and the Middle Distances in track. So being good and even great at something is also understanding what one is not good or great at. I do bifolds for 8.5" by 11" writing tablets and purses. I do not have the artistic abilities to do leather masks such as those done by Leatheroo. By concentrating on the things I am good at, some day I hope to reach the masters level.

These are my thoughts on this matter.

Ive learned that good tools and good material greatly decreases the learning curve. Im sure there are people way more talented than me that can make the best out of the worst, I just dont happen to be one of them.

Thought it might help others like me who are in the same boat wondering how to get the same result using the same methods described by some of the people who share them.

I agree about the tools and materials. It's just i was told when i started doing carpenter work years ago, get the best tools you can afford it will make your job easier. Or to put another way you can dig a hole with a stick but you'll do a better faster job with a shovel ! Pratice is a big part of doing anything very few if any do something well the first time they try.

Edited by dirtclod

Part of me always wants to jump on the $3.98 a square foot gradeY hides when I see them. The truth is, I can never get that leather to tool, mold, or edge as well as I can when I quit being so cheap and buy the good leather. When the leather is easier to work, the practice with the best tools I can afford seems to go better. My stuff comes out better, and takes dye better. In my opinion, equally important to buying the best tools you can afford, is buying the best leather you can afford.

As with everything quality comes at a price but it is best in the long run - when I buy my tools I only buy good quality tools ---- but I only have to buy them once , I don't always buy them new , some of my tools are older than I am but as they were quality when they were made they still are quality now.

I only use the best hides as well , being a horse rider as well as a saddler I know how important it is to use the best materials , the last thing I need is a lawsuit because something I made broke because it was made from poor leather .

One real difficuilty I have is many potential customers don't want to part with the extra $$$ , they aren't leatherworkers themselves and don't understand about leather quality - I make a bridle for a horse at $150 - they see a similar one for $30 / $40 , you can try to explain that it is imported from india / china and really poorly made but half the time they don't care , all they see is $$$

Nutty, I made a cheekpiece yesterday, and I'm sure I charged as much as the rest of the bridle cost. I didn't use Indian leather or leave a loop of thread around the stud like the one I "copied".

150 is very reasonable.

Kevin