russinchico

copyright infringement?

Trying to understand the point of the current discussion?

Edited by BDAZ

Very interesting topic. I see this come up in EVERY craft forum I encounter.

What I understand from what I've read over the years (and put together from the cases that were called as examples):

1. Changing X% is NOT OK. The example for this was a case where beader B took beader A's pattern, changed the orientation of the beads, and claimed they could do that. The beader B lost soundly.

2. As has been stated, you can copyright the written directions and your rights are covered. You cannot re-sell their instructions as your own (or pull the "change x%" myth). Can you resell their patterns as their patterns? That's more of a grey area and while I'll gladly sell a Simplicity or Folkwear pattern that I don't need/use/want, I'm not going to sell a Dieselpunk.ro file.

3. Take an extant pattern, create something, and sell the something. Hell yes. I don't pretend to be a pattern drafter, there are other ways I'd rather spend my time. Most patterns I've used have not had any restrictions on the use of what I make from them. I paid plenty of book bills in college with my construction skills (shirts, leather armor, etc).

4. I thought the bit on the using a trademarked image was interesting. Not something I would touch. I was going to make tower coozies for kegerators but when I saw in rather prominent print on the sports fabric NOT TO BE USED FOR RESALE, I decided that wasn't an ulcer I wanted. Let other people do the "if you didn't want me to sell stuff with it" excuse.

Ok what about if I wanted to make a holster from a 20 year old movie and no one Else makes this specific holster movie correct but me can I put a copyright onto it To stop people from geting my pictures and making it?