The Farmers Daughter

Uh Oh...i Think I'm In Trouble

Here's the thing. I had been loaning my younger brother my contest saddle to team pen in. Knowing that I go to the auctions a couple of times a month, he said to pick him up something of his own. Gave me $400. He's a kid and doesn't have a lot of cash. Thinking I am doing a good sisterly thing, I pick up this lightly used trophy saddle. Looks like its only been used a few times, had nice tooling on it and was a 16 inch seat.

I confess, I did not look it over real well besides making sure the tree was sound. I won the auction for $375. I was feeling pretty good about myself. I was told it was valued at $1500.

Now that I got it home, I started looking it over and found the stamp "Made in Mexico". Be straight with me folks. Did I just get screwed on a piece of crap?

post-12483-031589700 1311889048_thumb.jp

post-12483-005526300 1311889139_thumb.jp

post-12483-096524600 1311889203_thumb.jp

post-12483-039050100 1311889435_thumb.jp

This i know...You recieved a 375.00 saddle that looks almost new.

True Luke. It has stainless hardware and the leather is decent. Its not that card board stuff. It is hand tooled.

That leads to the question: Is there such thing as a quality Mexican made saddle? I don't want to delude myself. I have heard lots of negative things.

Edited by The Farmers Daughter

For the money it looks like you got a good deal, only time will tell though but i dont think you got screwed on it. let us know how it works out for ya it might be one of them diamonds in the rough.Happy trails

If its sits good on his horse, and his bucket fits the bucket seat, You Did Just Fine.

If not sell it for $350, get another.

I didn't see made in Mexico. I seen Mexico stamped on the leather. It may be that the leather was tanned in Mexico and the saddle built in the U.S. At different times i have seen leather that had Product of Mexico or Mexico stamped on the hide.

Edited by dirtclod

I didn't see made in Mexico. I seen Mexico stamped on the leather. It may very be that the leather was tanned in Mexico and the saddle built in the U.S. At different times i have seen leather that had Product of Mexico or Mexico stamped on the hide.

Interesting point. It doesn't actually say MADE in Mexico, just says MEXICO. Seller said it came from Texas. But that is just word of mouth.

Interesting point. It doesn't actually say MADE in Mexico, just says MEXICO. Seller said it came from Texas. But that is just word of mouth.

It's all relative to price and intended use. If it fits his needs you made a great deal.

I know this is an old post... but, I know a family in Monteray Mexico (grandson lives in Texas) that builds saddles for saddle makers (very reputable companies) all over the US and world....

does he like it? does it fit his horse? Is the tree in good shape? Is there cardboard fillers in between the leather?

Heck- if it passes you got a great deal! $350 might cover the cost of leather and hardware to make a new one!

Edited by pete

The only information I can offer is check the riggings and how they are put in and if they are in the same place side to side. Other than that if it fits the horses and is comfortable to ride you did all right. I just put new riggings, front and back in a saddle that had mexico stamped on it that were held in with shoe tacks., not a screw to be found. Usually they are least held in with one screw and either some nails or staples. The old boy cinched up, sttepped on and went for a bit of a ride when his front rigging let go and the front cinch hit his pony in the front legs. He got lucky and the back rigging let go after a couple of jumps and him and the saddle found the ground about the same time. The genuine made in Mexico breast collar that came with the saddle let go somewhere in the meantime also which was fortunate for the wreck in general I expect and I got to build a new one for the gentleman.(add on sales!!!!) Sometimes you get what you pay for and sometimes you get lucky. Either way it generally comes to the saddle shop at some point or another. The days of the ten dollar horse and forty dollar saddle are gone, so to all I say keep buying those good deal saddles and come on in, I need the bussiness, and thats Just my two cent worth! :)

Jake

Take a close look at the tree. I have seen many saddles made in Mexico that has, as I call them, fake rawhide cover trees. What I mean is, that the rawhide is only on the edges of the bars, and the rest of the tree is bare wood. I wouldn't rope anything out of that kind of tree.

For $ 375 is donated! In Italy there is a proverb that says: "do not look a gift horse in the mouth"

" A caval donato non guardare in bocca" :cowboy: