Uncle Dannie

Restoration Supplies

I have an older saddle that is grimy and dirty, and in desperate need of a deep cleaning. It has been left out in a barn, unprotected. While reading various forums and topics about saddle restorations, I finally need help in purchasing specific items. So far, I have read that I need the following:

Fiebrings Yellow Paste (what is this, the yellow saddle soap?)

A Deglazer (ethyl acetate)

Fiebings Leather New

Bick 1

Resolene

Saddle Oil (Fiebrings Pure Neatsfoot Oil)

Tan Kote or Bag Kote

Montana Pitchblend

Lexol Leather Cleaner

Now, my concerns are as follows: Do I need all these items? Which ones do I really need? And if I need all these things, in which sequence do I apply them?

I'm just going to toss this one out there and see how it goes over. . .

Being that I was in a similar spot as Uncle, I know that everything he needs to know is here. . .somewhere, a little here and a little there. This question comes up over and over again. I would suggest that a knowledgeable saddle maker/ restorer, that actually has a little time available (if that could be possible) post a how-to thread, and the others chime in their variances, and it becomes a 'sticky thread', easy to find and readily available. Maybe the post could have different levels of cleaning, from just fell off the horse into the mud, to annual, to neglected yard sale to Gramps old saddle found in the barn years later.

Maybe you are already working on a saddle like this and could include some photos and or anecdotal info as well. Could be the basis for a book!

Just a thought.

Uncle, I took mine apart as far as it would go, including removal of the leathers and Conchos. I hit it with the garden hose while it was on a saw horse, and then scrubbed it down with a light nylon brush and Murphy's oil soap. When it was almost air dried, I wiped it down with olive oil, but wouldn't likely do that again. That did however, seem to get it in good shape. Mine was not in 'bad shape' though. Now I do an annual light cleaning and treat it with a coat of Lederbalsam. There are a lot of leather products out there, and what I use is likely not the preferred, but I'm not unhappy with the results. If somebody(s) post a good how too, I may change my ways. I don't think you need to buy all the available products, as you have listed. Since you can't wait for an instruction manual, you may want to search the forum and put together a plan, or give it a few, as these folks have tons of knowledge and experience, and help will be around pretty soon.

Good luck,

Dennis

Uncle Dannie,

I clean quite a few saddles and I basically do just what Dennis described. I use Murphys Oil soap in a bucket of water to clean with. I don't like to use the paste saddle soap because if the saddle is stamped or tooled you leave a lot of the paste in the tooling. Take as much of the saddle apart as you feel comfortable with putting back together. (Stirrup leathers can be a bear to get back in). After I clean one I oil it with a coat or two of neatsfoot then with leather conditioner like Williams or Dr. Jacksons. After it dries I put a coat of Tan Cote on. Don't use resolene, it won't let the oil in the next time.

Good luck,

CW

Thanks for the quick replies. I scoured the forums but only found bits and pieces of info on cleaning saddles. This is a rideable saddle, but has been sitting in a barn for a couple of years. I'm with you, Newfman, a 'sticky' on a How To article would be nice. Thjs is the first time I heard about using Murpheys Oil Soap, I thought everyone used Yellow saddle soap (paste). To CWR, this is the first time I heard not to use Resolene (which I was having a hard time finding locally).I do have a lot of pure Neatsfoot Oil.

Again, thanks for the replies. I'll be starting this project in the next couple of days.

Dannie

Here is a saddle I'm cleaning for my daughter right now. I bought it off of ebay and I don't think it was ever cleaned. It's a old Martha Josey made by longhorn. I'm just using lexol liquid glycerin and lexol leather conditioner. I first scrub the saddle down with the glycerin and a toothbrush. I then go over it with a damp rag to get excess glycerin off. I then wipe it down with the conditioner. I'm not sure if this is the right way or not but it seems to work for me. I'd also be interested if there is a better way or product. But I have a feeling that if you ask ten guys you get ten different answers.

Mike

post-4953-070901100 1312400821_thumb.jpgpost-4953-000399600 1312400834_thumb.jpgpost-4953-022593700 1312400850_thumb.jpgpost-4953-038146800 1312400860_thumb.jpgpost-4953-037087700 1312400875_thumb.jpg

post-4953-037087700 1312400875_thumb.jpgpost-4953-046011100 1312400890_thumb.jpgpost-4953-046368300 1312400902_thumb.jpg

I also clean and condition a heck of a lot of nasty saddles. I sure enough like Murphy's Oil Soap. I sure would recommend that you do not

use yellow paste saddlesoap. If you use saddlesoap use bar glycerine or liquid glycerine saddlesoap (fiebings is excellent). Whichever

soap you use (dish washing detergent also works well) be sure a rinse off soap prior to applying oil which should be applied in several

light coats. Applying first coat of oil while saddle is still damp allows for better oil penetration. Good luck.

Thanks for the quick replies. I scoured the forums but only found bits and pieces of info on cleaning saddles. This is a rideable saddle, but has been sitting in a barn for a couple of years. I'm with you, Newfman, a 'sticky' on a How To article would be nice. Thjs is the first time I heard about using Murpheys Oil Soap, I thought everyone used Yellow saddle soap (paste). To CWR, this is the first time I heard not to use Resolene (which I was having a hard time finding locally).I do have a lot of pure Neatsfoot Oil.

Again, thanks for the replies. I'll be starting this project in the next couple of days.

I've got an old S D Meyers saddle that is in about as bad a shape as one could be in and I've seen some pretty delapidated saddles. I got it at my ranch and I don't know whose it was but it is what I would call "petrified!" I mainly picked it up because it's got the best example of S D Meyers tooling on it that I've seen and I am going to sketch the designs just to have them. Anyway, the leather is black and stiff as a board and I don't know if one that's this far gone can be brought back from the dead or how much can it be salvaged. I see pix of saddles that others are working on and they are "pristine," compared to this poor old thing. I have been temped to buy the Alain Eon (sp) book, apparently it is the bible for saddle restoration, but it's pretty expensive and I'm having a mental argument with myself about how much use I would get out of it if it turns out this saddle is a lost cause. So I'll be watching this thread trying to figure out what can be done to a saddle that's got way more problems than just being dirty.

Bill

The book you mention is excellent and worth twice the money. You can't believe some of the saddles he has brought back. I am fortunate

that he sent me a signed copy for free. Sure worth your while. By the way - I have a Tio Myers in excellent shape, been in the family a

long time and there ain't enough cash money to buy it. Good luck with yours - give it a try, you sure as hell ain'tgot nothing to loose.