withsilverbells

Machine Fraying Thread

I am using a Consew 206RB-5, 135x17 DP needles, and #69 nylon thread. The needle or the machine seems to be slightly shredding the thread, until only a few strands remain taught as it sews and the other strands curl up the length a ways and bunch together. I was sewing something much thinner than usual at the time.

I tried adjusting the needle... I am still new at all this, but it seems that how high the needle is screwed in makes a difference, and also whether the needle is rotated correctly. So I have tried to adjust those things. It did not work, but I may not have adjusted the right way...

How do I solve this?

Thanks in advance!

Check the thread path of your machine for any sharp or rough edges. You might need to gently smooth these areas with a jewellers file.

I get that with some V92 threads on my Consew 225, but not with other threads. I think it’s the thread.

CD in Oklahoma

thayerrags.com

I assume you are sewing a material other than leather since you are using 135 x17 needle.

The long slot in the side of the needle should be to the left side, thread needle from left to right. A good test for sizing on thread and needle is to thread a needle, hold the thread at about a 45 degree angle. If the needle slides down the thread easily you have the right size needle for the size thread you are using.

Do not adjust needle, it should be placed all the way up into the hole for the needle. If you place the needle other than that the timing will be off.

Make sure your machine is threaded properly. On occasion my Consew will "flip" a thread off the lower tension discs making it wrap around the knurled knob. That throws the tension off and also will shred the thread.

If you have messed too much with the needle etc. you may have messed up the timing. Your manual gives information on timing.

ferg

I am using a Consew 206RB-5, 135x17 DP needles, and #69 nylon thread. The needle or the machine seems to be slightly shredding the thread, until only a few strands remain taught as it sews and the other strands curl up the length a ways and bunch together. I was sewing something much thinner than usual at the time.

I tried adjusting the needle... I am still new at all this, but it seems that how high the needle is screwed in makes a difference, and also whether the needle is rotated correctly. So I have tried to adjust those things. It did not work, but I may not have adjusted the right way...

How do I solve this?

Thanks in advance!

1st, replace the needle with a new one. I have found that most problems can be solved with a new needle. Then look for burrs on the shuttle hook. Take it out of the machine and run your fingers across the end of the hook, there should be no burrs. If so sand them smooth with some 1000 or finer emery cloth or wet / dry sandpaper. Most of the time a frayed thread is caused by a burr or something like that.

Randy

I assume you are sewing a material other than leather since you are using 135 x17 needle.

The long slot in the side of the needle should be to the left side, thread needle from left to right. A good test for sizing on thread and needle is to thread a needle, hold the thread at about a 45 degree angle. If the needle slides down the thread easily you have the right size needle for the size thread you are using.

Do not adjust needle, it should be placed all the way up into the hole for the needle. If you place the needle other than that the timing will be off.

Make sure your machine is threaded properly. On occasion my Consew will "flip" a thread off the lower tension discs making it wrap around the knurled knob. That throws the tension off and also will shred the thread.

If you have messed too much with the needle etc. you may have messed up the timing. Your manual gives information on timing.

ferg

Hi Ferg,

It turns out I was sewing thick fabric and not leather at the time, but as a matter of fact I didn't realize that would be the wrong needle for leather. What range of needle sizes do you recommend for leather? I have a set of DP 135/17 needles the former owner sent with the machine, and also a set of DP 135/16 needles which were recommended for leather by the original salesman for the machine (his local company name and number were on the machine, so I payed a visit).

I appreciate your help.

- Mary

Hi Mary,

You need the 135 x 16 needles for leather. I am enclosing a chart for needle sizes in reference to thread.

Your machine will handle #207 thread but makes it work hard, #138 is really the largest unless you modify your machine and/or stitch one stitch at a time.

ferg

Hi Ferg,

It turns out I was sewing thick fabric and not leather at the time, but as a matter of fact I didn't realize that would be the wrong needle for leather. What range of needle sizes do you recommend for leather? I have a set of DP 135/17 needles the former owner sent with the machine, and also a set of DP 135/16 needles which were recommended for leather by the original salesman for the machine (his local company name and number were on the machine, so I payed a visit).

I appreciate your help.

- Mary

post-15740-011040100 1313449827_thumb.pn

Edited by 50 years leather