rickeyfro

Barry King Bargrounders

Got a few extra dollars and was thinking of getting some of Barry Kings bargrounders, just wanted to take a quick poll to get some thoughts on everyones prefered sizes. Hard to get a good idea of actual size of these from the website.

Ricky, I can't keep track of the sizes either. I called home and had my wife check. She says I have #45 in 3 and 5 hole. I have a set of Billy Woodruffs and she thinks they say 55, but the size stamping is pretty small and hard to read for her. I know there is a size difference, but she can't see it just looking at the stamps. I will say I had some smaller BKs and the only place I got along with them was small areas on thin leather which would make sense.

Thanks Bruce, I was kinda inclined to go with the larger sizes

Ricky, I can't keep track of the sizes either. I called home and had my wife check. She says I have #45 in 3 and 5 hole. I have a set of Billy Woodruffs and she thinks they say 55, but the size stamping is pretty small and hard to read for her. I know there is a size difference, but she can't see it just looking at the stamps. I will say I had some smaller BKs and the only place I got along with them was small areas on thin leather which would make sense.

Thanks Bruce, I was kinda inclined to go with the larger sizes

Ricky,

I got home and checked my stamps. The Barry Kings are indeed a #45. As far as the Billy Woodruff bargrounders, my wife really tried. The Billy Woodruffs are size 30 and smaller than the BKs. The 5 hole one she happened to pull out was size stamped a bit off. He double struck the "5" but that was the one stamp of the set stamps that didn't have the "- 30" clearly stamped on it. It really did make someone assume that was a size 55. The rest are all stamped with the number of holes and then the size.

Thanks Bruce

Ricky,

I got home and checked my stamps. The Barry Kings are indeed a #45. As far as the Billy Woodruff bargrounders, my wife really tried. The Billy Woodruffs are size 30 and smaller than the BKs. The 5 hole one she happened to pull out was size stamped a bit off. He double struck the "5" but that was the one stamp of the set stamps that didn't have the "- 30" clearly stamped on it. It really did make someone assume that was a size 55. The rest are all stamped with the number of holes and then the size.

Ricky,

On the Barry King website is a suggested size list. I am using #27 for belts and anything else I am doing. Size would depend on size of areas to be tooled. Wouldn't trade mine.

Terry

Can you guys describe how you use your bargrounders. The times I've tried with mine, I was not at all impressed! I know it takes practice, but it would help to hear the technique from someone who has mastered it.

Thanks!!!!

Ann

Ricky,

On the Barry King website is a suggested size list. I am using #27 for belts and anything else I am doing. Size would depend on size of areas to be tooled. Wouldn't trade mine.

Terry

Can you guys describe how you use your bargrounders. The times I've tried with mine, I was not at all impressed! I know it takes practice, but it would help to hear the technique from someone who has mastered it.

Thanks!!!!

Ann

Ann, If you could get a copy of the "Sheridan Style Carving Book", it shows about the best examples of how a bargrounder should look and how to do it. The guys in this book are masters.

Terry

Rickey,

I got the 27's and they were just way to small for me. I ordered some more tools several months later and asked if I could trade them in for 35's. I told Barry that if the ones I had were not like new I would pay for the 35's. He said not to worry about it he would send them along with the tools I ordered. He definately has my future business. Long story short, order a set and if they don't suit you, you have a reference point to go up or down in size.

CW

Thanks CW, yeah I dont wanna go too small and have it all muddled looking. you find the 35s to your liking?

Rickey,

I got the 27's and they were just way to small for me. I ordered some more tools several months later and asked if I could trade them in for 35's. I told Barry that if the ones I had were not like new I would pay for the 35's. He said not to worry about it he would send them along with the tools I ordered. He definately has my future business. Long story short, order a set and if they don't suit you, you have a reference point to go up or down in size.

CW

Yeah Rickey, I really like the 35's for smaller stuff. I'm just not good enough to run the smaller ones. But the point I was trying to make was that if they don't suit you Barry will replace them no questions asked. At least that was the experience I had.

Good luck,

CW