Sign in to follow this  
Shacknasty

Ironhead Saddle

Here's a seat I made to fit my 1982 Ironhead Sportster. I like the cobra shape I've seen used before so I gave it a shot.

I welded up a seat pan.

IMG_0961.jpg

Did some tooling.

IMG_0948.jpg

Tossed it in the vinegar.

IMG_0967.jpg

Did a little lacing and pop riveted it to the pan with a 1" layer of memory foam.

IMG_1009.jpg

Can't wait to do the next one. Thanks for the vinegar recipe. I am so glad to have found a way to get a rich strong black that won't flake, crack or wear off on jeans. The old ways are often the best.

Here's a seat I made to fit my 1982 Ironhead Sportster. I like the cobra shape I've seen used before so I gave it a shot.

I welded up a seat pan.

IMG_0961.jpg

Did some tooling.

IMG_0948.jpg

Tossed it in the vinegar.

IMG_0967.jpg

Did a little lacing and pop riveted it to the pan with a 1" layer of memory foam.

IMG_1009.jpg

Can't wait to do the next one. Thanks for the vinegar recipe. I am so glad to have found a way to get a rich strong black that won't flake, crack or wear off on jeans. The old ways are often the best.

tossed it in vinegar before or after you dyed it? i haven't had a problem with my blacks coming off.

nice seat. :thumbsup:

The vinegar solution I was referring to is called vinegaroon on the forum. I dissolved steel wool in vinegar and dunked the tooled leather in it and it immediately transformed to a black that permeates through the leather. It is not just on the surface, if you cut it is black all the way through.

The first time I used it was as a kid. I found it in a book by Lester Griswold but I had forgotten all about it. Saw the tutorial in the Dye section of the forum and jumped right in. It works a charm. Don't skip the neutralizing bath in H2O and baking soda. Give it a try...

IMG_0969.jpg

Very nice work. If that's your first seat, I may has well hang up the mallet and tools...

The vinegar solution I was referring to is called vinegaroon on the forum. I dissolved steel wool in vinegar and dunked the tooled leather in it and it immediately transformed to a black that permeates through the leather. It is not just on the surface, if you cut it is black all the way through.

The first time I used it was as a kid. I found it in a book by Lester Griswold but I had forgotten all about it. Saw the tutorial in the Dye section of the forum and jumped right in. It works a charm. Don't skip the neutralizing bath in H2O and baking soda. Give it a try...

IMG_0969.jpg

that's a nice tip. definitely gonna try it.

Thanks.

Man I have seen this seat before, just cant put my finger on it as to where. Hummmmmmmmmmmm, lol.

They will let just about anybody hang around here, huh? Good to see ya Joker, I was gonna ask if ya knew about this place...

Ya got to watch out for us motorcycle type people, were everywhere, lol. I found this site a few months ago, alot of good info for sure. I seen your seat on here and just had to say something smartassed, lol.

Joker