xlr8tn

Skiving Glass

Where do I find a thick slab of glass that I can use for skiving? Looking for one about a 1/2" thick. Also, what is the name of the tool in photo 00B.jpg?

Thanks,

Brent

post-5299-052476000 1313864539_thumb.jpg

post-5299-013552400 1313864599_thumb.jpg

Brent,

I use the side window from a car. Some guys that do really thin skives use a turned over glass bowl or a 1 gallon glass jar in a rack to hold it steady.

The push skiving blades are called a few different things and I suspect it is a regional thing. Some call them paring blades, English parers, skiving blades and they may or may not have anything but just the blade. Some wrap tape on them, and some glue leather to build them up a bit. They also make skiving knives like that with handles. Most of these are European influenced and Vergez-Blanchard, Dixon, or the outfit selling the Barnsley tools would be sources. Some are home made from saw blades. I've had a couple that were good.

If you can't find a car window, try some of these sources:

Home improvement stores--tile department. Can sometimes find 6x6x 1/4" thick glass tiles.

Hobby and home decor stores--look where they have candles. Can sometimes find a flat unrimmed glass slab of the appropriate thickness.

Kitchen supply-- can sometimes find glass cutting boards, but I generally find these too thin for anything but casual use. I've also found thicker glass "cheese boards" at places like Ross, TJ Maxx, and KMart.

However, specifically, it looks like it is being skived on a glass burnisher, such as what can be found from Tandy. (http://www.tandyleat...ts/8120-00.aspx)

I bought of mine at Bed, Bath and Beyond. They sell it in the cutting board section. I bought both sizes they had a small one & large one. It isn't a 1/2" thick, but about 3/8" and I have been using them for multiple things one being skiving.

Good luck.

I use a glass shelf from the bathroom section of the hardware store.

If you have a Glass Shop close by you just might get a "Cut-Off" from a job they done recently.

The advantage to the auto glass, it is tempered.

ferg

Where do I find a thick slab of glass that I can use for skiving? Looking for one about a 1/2" thick. Also, what is the name of the tool in photo 00B.jpg?

Thanks,

Brent