damnyak

Any Help With Singer 96K41

Hello Everyone, first time post, long time reader.

I just got a free Singer 96K41. Lovely old machine, I am looking forward to sewing some Canvas and Woolens, But I know it has the potential to sew possibly two layers of 5oz Leather. I am new to These types of machines....well to sewing machines in general. I am looking for any assistance in what I would need to sew this leather. I really don't want to sew heavy holster type leather. So I won't go there.. But when I powered it up and with the needle that was left in it, it did power through the two layers but it was hanging up on the feed dog, and it was marring the leather. Now the questions.....

Would I need to put a roller foot on to handle two layers of 5oz leather,

Where would I get a decent one and a decent price?

Would this stop the marring of the underside? or any tips for that?

Any help with what needles for this machine and thread that would be good for small dry goods (braclets, wallets, keyfobs) would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you everyone.

My first industrial sewing machine was a Singer 96K40 straight stitch machine. Over the years I added all kinds of presser feet, including a full roller foot conversion. With that foot system in place I was able to sew leather vests and chaps. However, the machine could only tolerate #69 thread, maximum. The thickest seams I had to sew over were about 10 ounces (5/32"). I think you will be able to sew two 5 ounce, light temper pieces together, with a system 1138, #18 leather point needle and #69 bonded nylon thread.

As for the feed dogs marking the leather, a roller foot conversion kit should reduce that to a minimum. The kit has a single row feed dog, about 1/8" wide+. Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines sells these conversion kits for straight stitch machines like yours. They also have movable edge guides that screw into the throat plate, inline with the needle.

Note: the machine has a fairly weak top pressure spring, for garment use. It will have a hard time holding down 10 ounces of veg-tan leather.

Edited by Wizcrafts

Wiz, Thanks for the reply! You really helped me alot, I just have one last stupid question, you mention system 1138. can you please explain this to a newb like myself.

How did you like that machine? solid?

Thanks again!

On 8/23/2011 at 8:32 AM, damnyak said:

Wiz, Thanks for the reply! You really helped me alot, I just have one last stupid question, you mention system 1138. can you please explain this to a newb like myself.

How did you like that machine? solid?

Thanks again!

My typo: it should read system 1738. These are the standard needle system used in most, but not all, straight stitch industrial sewing machines. They have a thinner mounting shank than walking foot needles and are shorter. Further, they aren't usually available in sizes over #21 or 22, since the machine that use them don't usually sew with #138 thread.

System 1738 needles are known and sold as types: 16x231, 16x257, 16x95, 287wh, 1738, DBx257, SY2254 and SY2270.

Since the machines designed to use these needles are not normally intended to sew over 1/4 inch of material, the needles are made short, to reduce breakage from minor deflections. Garment machines typically use these needles in very small sizes: 9 through 12. People sewing leather in these machines tend to use either #46 or #69 bonded nylon thread, using needle sizes 14 through 18.

The old Singer cast iron industrial machines are built to last for over a hundred years. Some moving parts wear out with use, or if allowed to rust, but rarely from age alone. A Singer 96K anything, if properly timed and tensioned and not operated outside its nominal operating parameters, should last until the Kingdom Comes. That is, if it's regularly oiled, if worn out parts are replaced and important screws are kept tightened.

My 96K40 was at least 40 years old when I bought it in 1985. It was my first sewing machine. I kept it in use until 2005. It was still sewing perfectly when it was sold. I had converted it into a roller foot machine to make some leather vests and repair hems and zippers on some leather pants and light weight jackets. Over the years I accumulated 28 different presser feet and a handful of edge guides. It had a Singer 1/2 HP green clutch motor. Both motor and machine were is excellent working condition, when I sold it at age 60+, for $200.

It was a coincidence that my series 1738 needles worked in an old Singer 29-4 patcher, where the proper type 29x needles would not pick up the loop reliably.

FWIW,the leather needle is a 16x2

Bob

A bit of a necro post here but instead of starting a new topic:

does anyone know if a link for a manual for the Singer 96k41? I have a badly scanned manual for the earlier 96k series which seems to be mostly relevant but as I said badly scanned makes some of

the oil points difficult to discern and as I hope to reach my daughter to machine sew on this machine a clearer rendering would be helpful.

Any advice would be appreciated.