Tibbiecow

Curb Strap From Latigo/saddle String

It's a ways to town, and I need a curb strap/bit hobble for a snaffle bit bridle. I have on hand a few replacement saddle strings, and I would like to use one (or part of one) to make the curb strap. I could use a bleed knot to make a very simple one, but that (in my head) ends up only one-ply. I don't have any hardware or sewing tools. Any ideas?

Not sure that I understand your problem. I have a piece of latigo, though the dee rings, brought together and a bleed knot. Been on my snaffle for at least15 years.

Please explain what you are trying to do.

pete

ps- HOW do you pass it through, bring them together ( it's now a circle/oval passing through the dee rings) and end up with "one ply!" You have one side passing through his mouth!!?

Edited by pete

Well, obviously it is two ply where it goes around the bit ring ;)

Ooohhhh, Pete, you're just doing ONE bleed knot? That makes the whole thing two ply.

I was envisioning a bleed knot at each snaffle ring. Then, there would be two ends hanging loose from each knot, I was thinking to join them together somehow.

Here's how I do the scrap latigo snaffle bit straps with no ring knots or loops. It uses up three short pieces of latigo. The bit rings are secured with the slit knot like a hackamore hanger,

post-29-022374300 1314072773_thumb.jpg

post-29-065422000 1314072792_thumb.jpg

Here's how I do the scrap latigo snaffle bit straps with no ring knots or loops. It uses up three short pieces of latigo. The bit rings are secured with the slit knot like a hackamore hanger,

NICE BIT, Bruce!!!!

pete

I make a lot of of leather curbs by making slits in it just like a set of hobbles. I make it thiner to at the end and tie it like a rope halter

Here's a simple one I use. Can't remember where I found the pictures but they are pretty bad, hope they show up OK.

post-19265-003879300 1316788109_thumb.jp post-19265-014294200 1316788117_thumb.jp post-19265-018838300 1316788125_thumb.jp post-19265-004580200 1316788136_thumb.jp