Sign in to follow this  
41mag

Small Animal Pattern Source?

HI Folks

I'm a newby here

I have customers who want our furbearers stamped/carved on leather, from 3-6" in length.

These include raccoon, beaver, otter, fox, bobcat, coyote, mink, etc

Can anyone give me a source for patterns for small mammals?

Thanx

ole John---oldest rookie on here

HI Folks

I'm a newby here

I have customers who want our furbearers stamped/carved on leather, from 3-6" in length.

These include raccoon, beaver, otter, fox, bobcat, coyote, mink, etc

Can anyone give me a source for patterns for small mammals?

Thanx

ole John---oldest rookie on here

Hi John.

I would google it. You go in to images then text the animal you want...To the left you have the option of "linedrawing" and Voila, and here's the drawings :-)

http://www.google.com/search?q=raccoon&hl=en&biw=1280&bih=544&gbv=2&tbm=isch&source=lnt&tbs=itp:lineart&sa=X&ei=5EdTTq1pyO6yBpqPpYQO&ved=0CCUQpwUoBA

Hey John,

I was looking through my catalog from S-T Leather last night and came across this page. That is, page 43 of their catalog. Those are "Figure Carving Patterns" books (item number M2660). It says they contain "detailed line drawings of popular subjects." You can get all those books (letters A-T) of different designs. Or you can even get the ones below (M2000) which I suppose are just a cheaper price because they are less popular, but that gives you about 10 more to choose from. Pretty good price too. I am finding that a number of things from S-T Leather are a good price. You can get Chan Geers Sheridan stuff for $8.95 instead of the usual $13. Anyway, just a thought if you are still needing those patterns.

Hi drphil and John.

Those books for figure carving patterns are from Dover publications. I have quite a stack of them for various past projects.

If anyone is interested, the they can be viewed at the Dover website if you want to take a look at the inside of one of them before buying. The ones SL Leather lists are the same price as what they currently are on Dover's site, so if you are buying leather, the shipping for the hide might also cover your books.

Some examples:

Castles of the World

Wild Animals

Favorite Dogs

Many other Dover books are available, and many can also be obtained from amazon (Butterflies, Celtic Books, for example), and some book stores and hobby stores. If you're getting a lot of the books, Dover has free shipping for orders over $50, and Amazon usually has free shipping for orders over $25. My local bookstore does not usually carry more than a dozen of the titles, though, so sometimes I have to resort to the 'net.

Some of the Dover books also have all of the drawings as vector art or as digital files on an included CD, such as: Castles (w/ CD), Wild and Domestic Animals, Birds.

For most of these Dover art/craft resource books, the buyer has the option of using the artwork without additional special permissions, provided you do not use more than a certain number of the illustrations (usually between four and 10) per single project and that you do not make your own resource document/online archive/book/whatever. I find it's a cheap and legal way for me to get applique designs for my quilts.

:rolleyes:

I Goolge coloring pages for specific animals . There are usualy alot of images that work with leather carving. If its to difficult i just get out the crayons.

I USED TO BE A BEAVER AND A GOOD OLD BEAVER TOO.

Edited by Scouterjer