DonR

New Guy From The Ozarks

Hello to all. The name is Don, and I'm an old geezer from Arkansas whose hobby has grown into a small home-based business. I joined here because of the comprehensive coverage of all things leather and the amazing collection of talented people willing to share their expertise. Many thanks for that!

I use a laser for decorating my work and for cutting leather when precision is important. Anybody else out there using lasers in their leather work?

Welcome Don, make yourself at home. We would love to see your work.

Yes, Welcome! WHere are you from? I"m in Mt. Home.

pete

Welcome! I'd love to see some of your laser work. I have hunting land in Melbourne and fish the White, great area!

Welcome to the forum Don!

Yes, Welcome! WHere are you from? I"m in Mt. Home.

pete

Hi Pete. Small world, I'm in Mountain Home also. Let's get together sometime.

Welcome! I'd love to see some of your laser work. I have hunting land in Melbourne and fish the White, great area!

Thanks for the welcome. I am in Mountain Home and have also been known to fish the White.

post-23271-084275200 1314342962_thumb.jppost-23271-084275200 1314342962_thumb.jpHello man ,

Welcome aboard !

Do you have your own laser ? I've done some work with lasers and water jet cutters but I still like a good sharp knive for cutting . I don't like the burned edges but it's fun.

Also , hello to brother Luke. I'll be writing to you soon.post-23271-037063400 1314342925_thumb.jp

Thanks Guru. Yes, I have a 40 watt CO2 laser. Proper power and speed settings minimize charring. For fine work I sand the edges and finish normally, but for inexpensive items, especially like key fobs or lighter cases, I just clean the edges and sometimes apply edge-kote. It leaves a consistent, well defined edge, and shortens production time, allowing me to make multiples in a short period of time.

The last line of your message confused me for a moment. My son's name is Luke. He makes knives and I make sheaths for them.

post-23271-084275200 1314342962_thumb.jppost-23271-084275200 1314342962_thumb.jpHello man ,

Welcome aboard !

Do you have your own laser ? I've done some work with lasers and water jet cutters but I still like a good sharp knive for cutting . I don't like the burned edges but it's fun.

Also , hello to brother Luke. I'll be writing to you soon.post-23271-037063400 1314342925_thumb.jp

Welcome to the board,

Nice work there.

Bob

My boyfriend has a laser cutter and I've used it a few times for custom orders. I like the precision and the customers are very happy, but my personal aesthetic runs a little more hand-made even if it's not quite as perfect ;). It's a pretty amazing tool, though!

Hi Don, welcome. Looking forward to seeing more of your laser cut stuff. Based on what I've seen of other folks' work I'm not a fan of laser decoration, but the cutting side of it interests me greatly.