Impyman18

Diy Harbor Frieght Leather Burnisher

I've been lurking the forums for months and just signed up recently to see pics. I figured my 1st post might as well be useful.

I was at Harbor Freight today just looking at what goodies I never knew I needed and ran across a 6 pack of 2in polishing pads and shank. I debated over buying them as I just ordered one of 3 Mutt's wooden burnishers. I figured what the heck and I'd give this a shot till I got the new one.

I knew I wouldn't be able to use the shank as I wanted to stack 3 pads. I dug out about a 4 in bolt with married nuts. I had 2 - 2in washers and 2 - 1 in washers I added to each side of the pad stack. I tightened it all together and fitted it in the drill press. Set it to 1350 RPMs, grabbed some wax, and saddle soap.

Flipped the press on and set a groove with a screwdriver.

I tested it on a raw, fresh cut, piece of veg tanned 8/9oz leather. No sanding or beveling had been done to the piece prior to burnishing. Not bad for no prep work!

I then sanded a piece with 220 grit paper and retested. (No pics, Sorry!)

Man, this things works like a dream!

I'll be sure to add pics of a preped and worked piece to show how well she works.

Total Cost: $12 +/- a few cents (Kit was $9.99 but used a 20% coupon)

Side note: I'm sure the shank that came with the kit could be used if you only used 2 pads but I didn't test it.

Hope y'all enjoy!

-Rick

Polisher_Kit.jpg

Burnisher_Bottom.jpg

Burnisher_side.jpg

Burnisher_top.jpg

Burnisher_Mounted.jpg

Waxes.jpg

Sampled_Raw.jpg

Sample_Finished.jpg

Edited by Impyman18

Good info, thanks

wow! talk about contributing on your first post!! this is a really cool idea. 12 bucks?! very well done on the cheap.

As promised...

Raw 8/9oz Veg

photo1.jpg

Sanded with 220

photo5.jpg

Paraffin wax applied to edges and burnished

photo3-1.jpg

Another angle

photo2-1.jpg

Saddle soap applied to edges and reburnished

photo3-2.jpg

Another angle

photo2-2.jpg

Hope this helps!

Edited by Impyman18

Thanks for posting this. I had searched HF's site and also briefly looked in the store, but missed this item. It's what I was looking for. Seems there are enough discs in that set to make 2 mandrels -- one for burnishing with soap, and another to use with wax after dyeing.

I might get this and compare the results with canvas wrapped wooden spools (spools are about $3 for 20 at Hobby Lobby).

The paraffin wax I have seen is very brittle, do you warm or melt it first? Or just rub it on then burnish? Thanks.

Thanks for posting this. I had searched HF's site and also briefly looked in the store, but missed this item. It's what I was looking for. Seems there are enough discs in that set to make 2 mandrels -- one for burnishing with soap, and another to use with wax after dyeing.

I might get this and compare the results with canvas wrapped wooden spools (spools are about $3 for 20 at Hobby Lobby).

Take a longer bolt and separate both sets of burnishers on to it. Also, I used a replacement leg that I purchased from Home Depot that has channels lathed in already and wrapped my canvas on it. The 1" screw that sticks out works well in my drill press.

Good luck.

The paraffin wax I have seen is very brittle, do you warm or melt it first? Or just rub it on then burnish? Thanks.

Turn your drill press on with the burnisher attached and carefully apply the wax as it spins.

Very nice idea.......thanks for sharing!

Are those replacement legs from the box store true to the threaded rod end? In other words, do they wobble when spun? I'm finding I'll need to even up my wooden thread spools a little, even though the bolts I got fit through the holes snuggly.

I wish I had a lathe. Of course, a drill press would be a nice step up from a hand drill clamped in a vise. ;)

So has anyone else made this? I picked up the felt pads and the wax. So the way I understand it you just hold the block of wax as it spins to load the pads?, what about a beeswax and parrafin blend melted into it? Thanks

Looks like I something I need to try myself.

Well I tried holding the block of wax while it was spinning and it did put some wax on the outside it never really did get any penetration into the wool felt.

hi, new to this neck of the woods, been doing A LOT of research on LW - this is probably the best thread i've come by. Thanks for that.

Q: What is the horsepower on your drill press? Burnishing is unquestionably the most advanced aspect in leatherworking in my op.

tx

Edited by highimpactgroup