Sign in to follow this  
karl

Fix it up for Kan kooler kit

Hi fellas, I bought some of those kan kooler kits that Tandy Leather makes and as they are,they are a piece of junk, but I found an improvement to make them work.

The instructions state to take some transparent tape and tape the foam together when you put in the plastic top ring and bottom into the slots they go in. It says to trim a small amount off the ends so they dont over lap after tooling.

The delima: when you put the can in it the top ring is so tight, the can pushes it (or pulls) it out of the slot because of to tight a fit and also pushes the foam out of the laced up leather.

After experimenting and to keep it "CHEAP" which it is, punch a small awl or ice pick through the bottom of the plastic bottom to get rid of the vacuum it creates, and besides the tape, put 3 or 4 wide rubber bands around the insulating foam above bottom slot channel and below the slot for the top ring and 1 or 2 around the middle. This keeps the foam round and also keeps the foam from slidiing out when the can is pushed in. You also have to trim the inside of the top ring a little at a time so the can slips through it easily. Be careful not to cut it in to because this helps keep the foam round at the top.

This is as little tip that might make a silk purse out of a sows ear so to speak, cause as it comes from Tandy Leather, it's a piece of C##P ! Good luck, Karl

Edited by karl

i throw the plastic pieces away and put a strap across the bottom so can dont fall threw. or i just use a foam can cooler n put in side n throw the foam away. thats what i did with it.