Spinner

Leatherburnishers.com Retiring

I received many more responses than I expected from my status update so I figured I'd address everyone at once versus typing the same thing a dozen times. ;)

LeatherBurnishers.com was started about a year ago after I turned a couple of burnishers for myself and King's X. The response was strong so I built the website to help manage the paperwork side of it a little bit. To be honest, I didn't expect it to go on for more than 2-4 months with an order here and there. A year and almost 600 burnishers later I'm a little tired. I had just gotten married last June (2010) and this June my little girl Emily came into the world. On top of all that my leather business finally took off February of this year and I also work a full time job in the Financial industry. Long story short, I need to manage my time a bit better as I don't feel like my little girl is getting enough of my attention so one of the hobbies had to taper off/go.

I love leatherwork too much to give it up and the burnishers were simply a side gig to supply folks with an inexpensive tool and to help keep my leather gig paying for itself. I will still be turning burnishers; I actually love woodturning too but have done it for so long that extended breaks don't even break my stride anymore. The plan is to take a few weeks or so to get my schedule and my house in order (I'll actually be moving soon as well if everything works out) and then I'll open up the Three Mutts Etsy store again and sell the burnishers there. That way I can pick a day, turn some inventory and folks can buy them as they are available. I'll likely still take the occassional special/custom request but the lead time will be a little longer than the 3-4 days than it used to be. (Gotta admit, that's a pretty fast turn around for a custom turned piece ;) ).

Anyone who orders before 4pm Wednesday will have their order turned in this last production batch and I'd expect to have them all in the mail by this coming weekend at the latest. I'll also remain available to anyone who currently owns one of my burnishers for repair & replacement work going forward. I may not be producing new ones as often but I will continue to stand behind the ones I have out there. Just contact me through the Three Mutts Customs website if you don't have my info on hand,

Thanks again to everyone who has ordered my burnishers and for making this one crazy & unexpected run!

Chris

Edited by Spinner

You are a top flight person and craftsman! I guess the pressure placed on you would be my fault and I take full responsibility. It has been a good ride for you. I am honored that I was part of portion of your history. I will try to keep my ideas to myself next time! LoL

Please spend as much time with Emily as possible for these are the times that you will remember most down the road. Trust me! If I get a chance to come home for bit, I will make sure to meet up with you and maybe I will get a chance to see Emily in person.

I appreciate all that you have done for me and our leather guild.

Hats off to you!

You are a top flight person and craftsman! I guess the pressure placed on you would be my fault and I take full responsibility. It has been a good ride for you. I am honored that I was part of portion of your history. I will try to keep my ideas to myself next time! LoL

Please spend as much time with Emily as possible for these are the times that you will remember most down the road. Trust me! If I get a chance to come home for bit, I will make sure to meet up with you and maybe I will get a chance to see Emily in person.

I appreciate all that you have done for me and our leather guild.

Hats off to you!

Thanks KX, I think back to the first sets I turned for us and it feels like it was years ago. My wife both damns and thanks you ;) (Many a baby related item was purchased with burnisher income). The shop is always open to visitors (at least when I'm home that is) and you darn well better make time to swing by!

I want to thank you for the ONE Dremel burnisher you sold me. It's been a great help.

Spend as much time with Emily as you can.

I lost my daughter, Sarah, to lymphoma on July 20th. She was 24 years old. This Friday would have been her 25th birthday.

I remember seeing the beginning of this, and decided I've drug my feet long enough and placed an order for one. I wish you and your family well in your future endeavors!

You do realize, don't you, that posting such an ultimatum is likely to generate enough orders to pay for that new house? Thanks for the update on the business plan, it'll help us schedule the orders. I'm glad to hear you're making the right decision and spending the time with family.

I want to thank you for the ONE Dremel burnisher you sold me. It's been a great help.

I lost my daughter, Sarah, to lymphoma on July 20th. She was 24 years old. This Friday would have been her 25th birthday.

Big O

My condolences on the loss of your daughter!

Rats! And here I am without the money until Thursday! :head_hurts_kr:

Good luck to you! Hopefully I can catch one in stock later.

Sorry to hear that Big O, tugs at the heart strings that does. I wish you and yours well.

Thanks Eagle, it'll be on it's way shortly!

Mike - you're not kidding! I should have tried this retiring thing a long time ago! ;)

woodandsteel - check your PM. ;)

Edited by Spinner

Chris,

Firstly let me say a public thank you for the great service I got on my recent order. They arrived today and they're both beautiful and fantastic to use.

Secondly, sorry for adding to the backlog, but I couldn't read this without getting one an order in for the "holster maker's special".

Enjoy your time with your daughter.

Chris,

Firstly let me say a public thank you for the great service I got on my recent order. They arrived today and they're both beautiful and fantastic to use.

Secondly, sorry for adding to the backlog, but I couldn't read this without getting one an order in for the "holster maker's special".

Enjoy your time with your daughter.

No worries Al, I actually just sent you an email to find out if you even received the first set before ordering another one! LOL. Glad they made it there safely, enjoy!

Now you just have to start making things that require burnishing! ;)

Spinner, sounds like your priorities are in the right place :)

Just want to say "thanks" for the burnisher I received from you. I can honestly say that it was the BEST $30 I've spent on a leatherworking tool. Top notch work and service to boot. Enjoy your new spare time!

Heh, you might have time again once she's in school! Then the funds can go towards some of her educational needs or start a college fund? The cost of some of those college books sure made me squawk--they're one of the reasons I don't have much spending money now. ($350 for a used book and a used lab manual for just one of my classes?) I'd better get my act together and order some burnishers now that I have incentive--I'd join the procrastinator's guild, but they've never organized.

Big O, my condolences.

By then I will have a couple more project ideas for Spinner. He'll need to make that $$ for her college education.

Launching all the blessings I can send your way... so sorry to hear of your loss O.

Kate

And Chris, thanks for the update. I love your burnishers, but I can wait. Your little girl cannot. You chose well.

Kte

I just ordered a "holster maker's special", Have only heard good stuff about the product :banana:

I´m sorry to hear of your loss Big O, prayers to you and yours.

Thanks Winterbear, Sixer & Kate. If all goes well with the move and such I'll probably work on new inventory around mid-October and hopefully be back on Etsy with them by November (just in time for Christmas!).

The really funny thing about all this is I'm now one of the few businesses I know of that had to go out and buy more supplies the day before closing up the shop.

To all those that have ordered the last few days, needless to say I'm a bit overrun with all the last minute orders but I've got supplies coming in and will have every order filled & into the mail by Tuesday 9/6 at the latest. (If I don't, my wife will kill me for not being able to help her pack!)

I just ordered a "holster maker's special", Have only heard good stuff about the product :banana:

I´m sorry to hear of your loss Big O, prayers to you and yours.

It will be on it's way in a few days Boothill Bob. Also, I checked out your website after we talked last night, some really nice looking rigs & belts you have there!

:thumbsup:

Hey Chris!

It has been a real pleasure dealing with you. Your workmanship and customer service is without compare, and in this day that is so rare and we have been very fortunate to have known you.

I wish you the best with your new daughter and family.

Mike Massey

M Bar S Ranch Gear

It will be on it's way in a few days Boothill Bob. Also, I checked out your website after we talked last night, some really nice looking rigs & belts you have there!

:thumbsup:

Thanx Chris, glad you like my work :-)

Hey Chris!

It has been a real pleasure dealing with you. Your workmanship and customer service is without compare, and in this day that is so rare and we have been very fortunate to have known you.

I wish you the best with your new daughter and family.

Mike Massey

M Bar S Ranch Gear

Thanks Mike, I appreciate the compliments! Now if I could just get my leather business to be as busy as my turning business I could drop the day job! ;)

For those that are curious, here's my new little (big) reason to slow down:

th_372.jpg

What a cutie! Look at that grin. She looks like she laughs a lot.

No worries on my order, I have all kinds of stuff going on and don't expect to be needing the burnishers before the 6th anyway. (I'll be up to the eyeballs with Merit Badges, an Eagle project, and some packing of my own!) Feel free to put mine towards the tail end of the list if you need to.

Hey Chris,

Got my second order from you today. Awesome stuff man. I originally ordered a set for the Dremel which are awesome. So awesome, that I had to order another one to replace the one that took a header off of the workbench the day I got it :bawling:

Anyway, got the drill press burnisher and replacement Dremel one today and promptly made a trip to Harbor Freight for a drill press! Your burnishers have saved me a TON of work in the last few weeks.

Kudos to you for taking the time for your daughter. Mine will turn 3 in December and I cannot believe how fast that has gone. Enjoy every moment you can!

Thanks,

John