JLD

Padded And Raised Nosebands

post-4774-015888400 1315027353_thumb.png

Hi,

I am making a new bridle for my horse and I would like to do the padded/raised noseband and browband.

I have a bridle I am looking at and I can see that there must be a "bead/strip' of leather which gives it the raised appearance and it is stitched on both sides.

My problem is do I sew the two pieces, top and bottom padding together incluing the strip with more slack on the top than the bottom so that the "bulge" is outward.

When I am looking at the noseband there does not appear to be any sharp molding around the filler so am I right in assuming that it wasnt wet and formed.

Thanks in Advance

Johanne

Some are molded prior to manufacture , but most have not been .

You have to make the pad by wrapping a piece of soft panel or upholstery hide around a foam/neoprene filler - this is then stitched to the noseband . to get the shape insert a piece of leather or rope - the larger the insert the bigger the shape. Be careful to make sure that when doing the first line of stitching the pad is in the correct place , it is easy to misplace this as when the insert is placed the leather bends round this and makes the top piece slightly narrower - again the bigger the insert the more this becomes evident .

hope this helps

Some are molded prior to manufacture , but most have not been .

You have to make the pad by wrapping a piece of soft panel or upholstery hide around a foam/neoprene filler - this is then stitched to the noseband . to get the shape insert a piece of leather or rope - the larger the insert the bigger the shape. Be careful to make sure that when doing the first line of stitching the pad is in the correct place , it is easy to misplace this as when the insert is placed the leather bends round this and makes the top piece slightly narrower - again the bigger the insert the more this becomes evident .

hope this helps

Thanks foir the information. Just to clarify since the top becomes narrower because of the insert do I need to allow for this when stitching to the pad. I just thought that the insert would show more on the pad side since it is softer leather if there wasnt room allowed in the top leather for it? Hope you can follow my thoughts (I have trouble myself sometimes:) )

Johanne

Yes you have to compensate for the leather narrowing because of the insert.

As with manythings saddlery it is a good idea to go to a sale and buy some really old stuff that is in really bad condition ( normally really cheap ) , you can then take these things apart and see how they are made - this should give you methods and measurements which you can use in future projects without going through all the trial and error of having to figure things out for yourself - and if you get old properly made stuff you can see how it's done properly.

Yes you have to compensate for the leather narrowing because of the insert.

As with manythings saddlery it is a good idea to go to a sale and buy some really old stuff that is in really bad condition ( normally really cheap ) , you can then take these things apart and see how they are made - this should give you methods and measurements which you can use in future projects without going through all the trial and error of having to figure things out for yourself - and if you get old properly made stuff you can see how it's done properly.

I sat down today and had a go at the browband. The outside leather is only 1/2" finished width and the lining about 1/4" (varies a bot) out on either side. My issue nor is that 1/2" plus a little for the bend does not want to bend :(

I have tried to make a shallow groove on the inside along the centre to give it a natural fold line to follow but am unsure of how deep I should make this groove.

My leather thickness is the same as on the one I am copying and it is nice soft leather I think it is the widthe being small which is making it harder.

Am I on the right trakc. And thank you all for your help.

Johanne