Tanthathide9

Deer Hide For Braiding?

I've never used it myself. Are you making rawhide out of it. If so I think I read or heard that it's pretty stretchy but I could be wrong on that. But heck if it's it free give it a whirl it might work. Hopefully someone with more experience with it comes along. Keep us updated on the results.

Mike

I think it'd be 'okay' for some decorative braiding - 4 strand rounds, and maybe 4/6/8 flat plaits for wall hangers and such. But, if it's really stretchy, you could run into problems maintaining proper tensions, especially on pineapples. Let us know how it works out, please.

If nothing else, you could brain tan it and use it for buckskins.

I think it'd be 'okay' for some decorative braiding - 4 strand rounds, and maybe 4/6/8 flat plaits for wall hangers and such. But, if it's really stretchy, you could run into problems maintaining proper tensions, especially on pineapples. Let us know how it works out, please.

If nothing else, you could brain tan it and use it for buckskins.

Thanks for the replies, I wa just curious looking at some resources I had available and thought why not ask. I'm new to the art and if I can practice preparing a hide for braiding I wouldn't want to practice and ruin a cowhide deerhide ,will soon be in abundance so I thought if it was possible why not hog hide even crossed my mind anybody work with that? I'm learning guys so take it easy on me and my dumb questions...an d ranch hand of my grandpa showed me 13yrs ago but sports took me away from it now that mans dead and gone and I'm trying to get my learning in books, he was phenomenal I got pics of some of his work but idk how to post pics anyways any and all info is welcome thanks in advance

There's no such thing as a dumb question. Heard that before. lol Heck everything worth's a try if it don't work your just out your time. And it would surly work to practice with. Best of luck and don't be shy about asking questions. Even though I'm not given ya very good answers.

Mike

Thanks for the replies, I wa just curious looking at some resources I had available and thought why not ask. I'm new to the art and if I can practice preparing a hide for braiding I wouldn't want to practice and ruin a cowhide deerhide ,will soon be in abundance so I thought if it was possible why not hog hide even crossed my mind anybody work with that? I'm learning guys so take it easy on me and my dumb questions...an d ranch hand of my grandpa showed me 13yrs ago but sports took me away from it now that mans dead and gone and I'm trying to get my learning in books, he was phenomenal I got pics of some of his work but idk how to post pics anyways any and all info is welcome thanks in advance

I use deer rawhide a lot. Not because I like it. I use it because I can get it for free from some hunters friends. It is not the best thing in the world but it works. The "Catle Counter" and the knife that I just post it, are both made out of deer hide. I dehaired them with lime. One of them, I just dehaired it with water. Changing the water everyday. It took almost 14 days until the hair started to fall off. Lime is quicker. Be real carfull when removing the flesh and fat. I accidentally left some fat on some of them and know you can notice it. Some parts are stained by the fat.

Cheers,

Enrique

Deer hide is very stretchy, which is what makes it great for lacing saddle trees. You can suck it down tight and it will get much thinner and yet is still very strong. The stretchiness makes it difficult to cut even string and I expect it will affect the braiding unless you are really, really careful with it. But I know some people still use it, so it can be done!

I haven't tried deer or elk, but have tried hog. It is very stretchy and is difficult to get string cut evenly.

If its free tho, I say go ahead and practice with it. If nothing else its good practice on making rawhide.

Rob