Sign in to follow this  
FHL FERG

Scorpion Seat

303676_2373158926684_1181866593_32931059_1449555_n.jpg

303208_2373156566625_1181866593_32931057_7386707_n.jpg

This is my latest seat. It's going to a guy in Australia for his 1966 Triumph project. Overall I'm happy with the way it turned out. I learned a lot of lessons from this one though. Every phase of the build had obstacles to try and over come. Fortunately leatherworker.net had all the answers and experience to lend a hand! It was the fist time using this geometric that I used on the bottom plate. It offered some real challenges keeping it straight and consistent, there are several flubs that drive me crazy. The dye on the bottom isn't as consistent as I would like either, but it's not terrible. As for the top, I'm pleased with the texturing I did; it really seems to add to the look and feel of the piece. At the time I was happy with the scorpion, in retro spect Iwish I did more to try and bring him to life, he feels really flat to my eye, no life. (Any thoughts on how to do that would be appreciated.)

Let me know what you think, I'm very open to constructive criticism.

Thanks,

Craig

Looks good! What did you use to coat the top to make it so glossy?

Joker

Thanks!

I used eco flo clear coat applied with an air brush.

Hi! Good looking seat. I can offer a spot of advice on the tri-weave. It it's not a real quality stamp, the three sides aren't 100% matched. Put a spot of enamel on one of the corners near the shaft where you can see it when stamping, and make that side always point in the same direction as you go along.

GOOD CALL! I kept trying to figure out where I was getting off on my alignment. I bet that's it. Thanks for the tip!

Have you flexed the top to see if that much build up of the topcoat will crack? It seems awfully thick from the picture.

It's not that thick, the picture is a little misleading. I use the ECO Flo because it's flexible, unlike the neat lac which is pretty rigid. I used my air brush to lay down about 4-5 really light coats. So far, so good. Only time will tell for sure.

I use the ECO Flo because it's flexible, unlike the neat lac which is pretty rigid.

I think I see a minor issue. Neat-lac actually IS pretty flexible.........if it's applied correctly. I've seen (and have) spray cans of Neat-lac and Saddle-lac. My first mis-adventure with them was putting a glossy top coat on a clutch purse. I sprayed on a coat, let it dry. Another, and another.............until I had a beautiful glossy finish over the carving...right up to the point it started getting used. Then, it cracked, chipped, and flaked off. Lacquer finishes need to be rubbed into the leather, not just sprayed on. I'm not saying that neat-lac won't crack at all, but it's pretty good stuff. 4-5 layers of clear coat may be too thick to adhere to the leather, as I don't think it's designed to be built up....but as you say, time will tell.