A belt I finished today that is goping to California. I felt a little rusty after being away from the tooling bench for several months while I persued other employment. Happy to be back in my own shop!!

post-255-041188300 1315334286_thumb.jpg

I like that belt. Only one question. Why stop the tooling at the bend instead of at the end of the belt, does the three inches of non tooled area save that much time?

I think it is not about saving time, but rather that if it is tooled all the way to the end the tooling can get distorted and even split when there are swivel knife cuts at the fold.

great question, hopefully others will chime in with there thoughts.

Clay

Would it be possible to post a smaller picture.

Thanks, Mike

Clay

Thanks, Mike

Right-click on the photo, and tell your browser to open the link in a new tab. It should shrink to fit the browser window (mine does in Google Chrome).

And Clay - I agree about stopping the tooling short of the fold. If you were to fold the tooled leather that severely, it would probably flatten out the tooling (in addition to being structurally weakened by the swivel knife cuts). Looks much better to stop the tooling short like you did.

particle

Thanks that worked like a charm.

Clay

Nice work as always.

Mike

Right-click on the photo, and tell your browser to open the link in a new tab. It should shrink to fit the browser window (mine does in Google Chrome).

And Clay - I agree about stopping the tooling short of the fold. If you were to fold the tooled leather that severely, it would probably flatten out the tooling (in addition to being structurally weakened by the swivel knife cuts). Looks much better to stop the tooling short like you did.

Clay

Thanks, Mike

Just to add to Particle's post you can click on the thing that loos like a floppy disk right above CLOSE and it will open in a new window and be smaller.

Hey clay,

I live close to Temple. Do you know any body in the area that would sew some belts that Ive made? Id definitely pay. Thanks

Colby

Hey clay,

I live close to Temple. Do you know any body in the area that would sew some belts that Ive made? Id definitely pay. Thanks

Colby

Try Uptmors Saddlery in Waco or Clay Miller (Temple/Belton) on here for help.

Good luck

Clay: Beautiful belt, keep them coming. I to always stop the tooling before the fold as that is the way that I was taught many moons ago (been doing this stuff since about 1976). The basic reasoning for doing so was to ensure that the integrity of the fold is not compromised and the fact that the design loses its appearance as a result of the folding.

Again, beautiful belt. Love that layout.

Richard

Colby, Sorry for not answering sooner, Sam is right, Uptmore Saddlery can help you with the sewing. They are on Hwy 6 west of Waco. Take the Speegleville Road exit and follow the frontage road almoat a mile and you can see their sign and shop.

Richard and everyone else, thanks for the complements.

Clay