i'm here in Hawaii and can't get any leather dyes shipped here..what can i use that will holdup on motorcycles seats and bags.. not Eco-flo,for sure.. i think i read some place Minwax can someone tell me what type to get and how to use it.. i need help badly call a lot of places and no one know what to send me that will work..

I think I read that minwax will crack if it gets built up too thickly. Have you considered Resolene? (yeah, I know...shipping) If you've considered it, you might try Mop-n-glo floor cleaner. I read of using it here for holsters (Thanks Katsass) and have tried it. It acts like thinned down resolene, and has become one of my regular finishes.

I don't know WHY in the world I read that as looking for a finish....

Yes, you can use minwax stains, but it does dry the leather out a bit. It also doesn't penetrate nearly as well as dye.

Being in the woodworking business for 25 years, I would think Minwax would work. It might not get as dark as the leather dyes though. The oils in the stains might even make it easier to put on. I don't know if Minwax makes water base but don't use it if they do.

I asked this same question about a year ago myself. I tried the minwax on leather and it does work but you don't get the same color as you do on wood, at least I didn't anyway. I tried a light (puritan pine) stain and it was lighter than what I get with wood and it smelled for a few weeks but if it's your only choice try it on a scrap piece.

Hiloboy,

I've tried the Minwax and was not pleased with the outcome. As the above poster stated, try making your oun dyes...vinegar black (steel shavings and vinegar), coffee dye (coffee grounds and water) and walnut dyes (crushed walnut shells). Do some "searching" on this site and you'll learn a lot on the subject. Good-on-ya. Semper-fi Mike

Mahalos everyone for the help.. if this latest thing with Fiebing doesn't work out.. it looks like i'm going to have to make my own.. or give that minwax a try .

i just got of the phone with Fiebing and they said they can ship what i need.. i hope thats true.. last time i talk to them it was i had to pay for a whole pallet to get it shipped to me i sure don't need that much stuff..well see.. i tryed sprinfield leather and weaver and they said they can't ship it...still looking any ideas sure would help..

I don't understand why you can't get the dyes there in Hawaii. It might have to be freight shipped (literally), but you get other things like gasoline there don't you? Board builders get finishing supplies don't they? Painters buy paint - even the collision repair people have to get some paint, and automotive paint isn't the friendliest of substances.

Can you check with local businesses to see how they get their raw products?

TwinOaks, your right i think freight by ship is the only way to get it here but most of the places i have talk to don't seem to know how to do that.. they say you have to buy it by the pallet or the cost would be to great for a small amount .and i don't need that much..they get there products by ship.. still looking for a way to get it here...

particle, thanks for the link.. i'm going to try that minwax until i can find a way to get the leather dies here what type of finish did you use over the minwax? and do you need to thin the minwax to make it penetrate the leather if so what do you use for a thinner? mahalo again for every ones help..