The basket weave pattern on this cartridge wallet is laser engraved.

post-24005-070637700 1315677779_thumb.jp

Awsum work..............

How long did the laser take to do it? Looks great.

How long did the laser take to do it? Looks great.

Thanks. It took about a half hour to create the file by drawing it in CorelDraw, but of course I can use it again and again. This kind of engraving can be done at a high speed, so the actual time on the laser was about seven minutes.

Was it an Epilog laser,and if so,what model. Hell, I guess what I'm askin' is, what kind of Laser you used. Was the learning curve steep to adapt to lasing leather? Which part of Ark are you in? The dry part,or the hot part?:You_Rock_Emoticon:

Was it an Epilog laser,and if so,what model. Hell, I guess what I'm askin' is, what kind of Laser you used. Was the learning curve steep to adapt to lasing leather? Which part of Ark are you in? The dry part,or the hot part?:You_Rock_Emoticon:

I'm in Mountain Home. Thanks for your interest. I use a Lasertek 40W CO2 laser, but I don't think it matters much which brand you use. They all do exactly what the software tells them to. If you are familiar with using both vector files and raster files there shouldn't be much of a learning curve. I use Corel to create and save my files, then import them to the laser software. It is versatile enough so that I can import raster files (for engraving) and vector files (for cutting) into the same window. Then all I have to do is put the leather into the laser bed, click 'start', and when it is done the item is engraved and cut out, including the holes for snaps and rivets. If I plan to hand stitch the work, I can cut stitching holes into it in the same operation. It also makes intricate filigree work as easy as drawing what you want.

A laser is no substitute for traditional leatherworking skills, but you can't beat it for precision. If you're thinking of going that route I will be happy to answer any questions you may have about my experiences.

I'm in Mountain Home. Thanks for your interest. I use a Lasertek 40W CO2 laser, but I don't think it matters much which brand you use. They all do exactly what the software tells them to. If you are familiar with using both vector files and raster files there shouldn't be much of a learning curve. I use Corel to create and save my files, then import them to the laser software. It is versatile enough so that I can import raster files (for engraving) and vector files (for cutting) into the same window. Then all I have to do is put the leather into the laser bed, click 'start', and when it is done the item is engraved and cut out, including the holes for snaps and rivets. If I plan to hand stitch the work, I can cut stitching holes into it in the same operation. It also makes intricate filigree work as easy as drawing what you want.

A laser is no substitute for traditional leatherworking skills, but you can't beat it for precision. If you're thinking of going that route I will be happy to answer any questions you may have about my experiences.

Hey Don,

Have you done work for others? I might have a job for a 9/11 memorial bike tank bib that the client is looking to have all 343 firefighters names listed down the center of the bib and hell if I'm going to tool that!

Chris

Hey Don,

Have you done work for others? I might have a job for a 9/11 memorial bike tank bib that the client is looking to have all 343 firefighters names listed down the center of the bib and hell if I'm going to tool that!

Chris

I'll be glad to help if I can, Chris. It sounds like a straightforward job so the cost should be minimal. If you want a quote, just send me a sketch showing dimensions of the bib and type and placement of the artwork. If you want me to provide the leather (so you only have to pay shipping one way), be sure to specify the weight and grade. Good luck with the project!

Don

Hello Don,

When you bought your laser did it come with the software on a disc , which you then downloaded into your computer and is there storage capacity in the machine itself ?

I suppose that one would have then to learn how to use the drawing program ? Would you recommend such a machine for the faint hearted ? Sounds like you are somewhat of a computer geek in addition to being a leather worker . Can you please describe in a little more detail your procedure the modus operendi ?

Thanks

Hello Don,

When you bought your laser did it come with the software on a disc , which you then downloaded into your computer and is there storage capacity in the machine itself ?

I suppose that one would have then to learn how to use the drawing program ? Would you recommend such a machine for the faint hearted ? Sounds like you are somewhat of a computer geek in addition to being a leather worker . Can you please describe in a little more detail your procedure the modus operendi ?

Thanks

Never ask a geek to describe something in more detail unless you are prepared to listen to some detail!

Okay, here goes. My laser unit came with software called Lasercut. While it is possible to create or manipulate images in Lasercut, those functions, in my opinion, are too primitive to be really useful, which is why I create my images in Corel (you could use Photoshop, CADD, or any other drawing and/or image editing software, as long as it allows you to save your files in a format Lasercut can read - in my case I use .dxf and .bmp files. The laser machine itself has no memory of its own and can do nothing without instructions from a computer. I use a dedicated computer for driving the laser (a setup I recommend). The computer communicates with the laser through a SCSI interface, but if you are willing to pay extra you can get a laser with a USB interface. I use another, more powerful computer on the same network to create, manipulate, and store images.

For the cartridge wallet in the picture I first drew the shape with the rivet and snap holes where I wanted them, and saved it as a vector file (one in which the software instructs the computer to go from point A to point B, then C, etc.). This is the only type of file my laser can use for cutting, which involves continuous firing of the laser. The next step was to draw the basket weave pattern, which is simpler than it might seem. I only had to draw one segment and two segment designs, as you can see in the picture. Then it is just a matter of making a couple of copies those, positioning them at right angles to each other, and using a function called 'step and repeat' to add as many segments as I wish in any direction. Then I added a border and black background. When I finished drawing, of course, I had another vector file, which is not ideal for engraving. Raster files (those which instruct the laser to fire as it passes over designated pixels while ignoring the pixels in between) are best for engraving, so I did a copy and paste into the image editing program in Corel, Photopaint, and saved it as a one bit bitmap (.bmp) file. If I had wanted to use a different type of image, say a photograph, it is (almost) as simple as scanning it into the software and converting it into a one bit bitmap.

The next step was to import both the .dxf and .bmp files into Lasercut, instruct the software in which order to execute the files, and push the 'go' button.

If you have never used a drawing program it will probably take you longer to learn how to create the images you want than to learn the ins and outs of lasering. There are some good video tutorials out there for the most popular drawing programs that could shorten the learning curve substantially, and there are always forums like this one where you can ask questions of people who have been there and done that.

If you were truly faint-hearted you wouldn't call yourself Leather Guru. I suspect you have many old skills and the capacity to acquire new ones.

Keep me posted and I will help if I can.

OH. IS THAT ALL THERE IS TO IT HUH?

I'll be glad to help if I can, Chris. It sounds like a straightforward job so the cost should be minimal. If you want a quote, just send me a sketch showing dimensions of the bib and type and placement of the artwork. If you want me to provide the leather (so you only have to pay shipping one way), be sure to specify the weight and grade. Good luck with the project!

Don

Thanks Don, we're talking now and it sounds like we might go with an inset panel of a different color leather so the names show up and the bib will likely be black and the inset panel a burgundy color.

For the lasered lines, do they come out the darker color shown on your piece or did you seal & antique it after it was engraved? I'm assuming since you use Corel (I use Xara X1 which is nearly the same) that font size isn't an issue? Is there a minimum font size the laser will achieve good results at?

TIA

Chris

Thanks Don, we're talking now and it sounds like we might go with an inset panel of a different color leather so the names show up and the bib will likely be black and the inset panel a burgundy color.

For the lasered lines, do they come out the darker color shown on your piece or did you seal & antique it after it was engraved? I'm assuming since you use Corel (I use Xara X1 which is nearly the same) that font size isn't an issue? Is there a minimum font size the laser will achieve good results at?

TIA

Chris

No color was added but the engraved color can vary depending on the tanning process, the type dye used, and oil or wax content in the leather. You're correct that font size isn't much of an issue, but my rule of thumb is a minimum of 10 points with light backgrounds and 12 points for dark ones. I usually burn the image a little deeper for dark backgrounds for greater visibility, but it softens the definition just a tad.

Don

That's CHEATING!!!!!!!!!

Pardon me.....I'm off to see how badly I can't afford one of those......

That's CHEATING!!!!!!!!!

Pardon me.....I'm off to see how badly I can't afford one of those......

My sentiment EXACTLY lol

It was this very post that planted the seed for me getting a laser cutter of my own lol

Hi Don,

I have an Epilog Helix 50Watt machine and would like to put that pattern in a wallet that I am making for myself. Would you share the CDR pattern with me?

thank you

Chris

On 9/10/2011 at 7:05 PM, DonR said:

post-24005-070637700 1315677779_thumb.jp

Beautiful work I had thought about doing the same but  me and software don't get on too well. I work better with physical items

Lasers is all the 'thing' these days.  I "get" it... set it and forget it type thing.... like production on a mini mini mini scale.

But I would be interested to see how this thing weathered the last 8 years after being BURNED

I've wondered the same thing, JLS. If it's something that is going to be bent/folded/handled a lot how long will it keep its looks?

Probably looks like a tattoo on a eighty year old.

Hi DonR.  Thanks for the post and welcome.  Can your laser cut 16 ounce leather?  How do you handle the "smoke staining?"