Sign in to follow this  
Mike Craw

Can Bridle Leather Be Tooled?

Hey Guys!

I've been messing with leather for more than 30 years now, but it's all been veg tanned saddle skirting. Now I have a former student who wants me to make her Mom a special bridle for her horse, and the idea I came up with requires some tooling. My question, to those of you who routinely use bridle leather is, can it be tooled or should I make it out of saddle strapping?

Thanks for the input!

Mike

Mike,

My guess is bridle leather has a fair amount of oil in it, and I would question its ability to do much tooling on. Why not just use veg tan? I am just finishing up a headstall that I have tooled with a stingray inlay. I used 8 to 9 oz. veg tan, and then lined it with 4 to 5 oz veg tan. Total weight somewhere around 12 ozs. After tooling I applied Bee's Natural Saddle oil and finsihed with antique paste and good old fashioned Neatlac. I can't believe this headstall won't last for a long time, and it is stout enough I wouldn't be afraid to use it as bronc halter. That stingray is some tough stuff and when sewn in between the layers of vegtan, makes it awfully strong. Hope this helps, just an idea.

Terry

Real English bridle leather the answer is no. I used to get French bridle leather and it was a little tough, but I tooled that a lot, but I haven't seen any of that in twenty years.

I have read that Wickett & Craig are trying to reproduce some leather that Scholze used to make and that was really dense but toolable, whether that has come about or not I don't know.

Good luck,

Kevin

Thanks to both of you for the quick replies!

Mike

Real English bridle the answer is no. Some (all?) North American "English" bridle, yes.

I'm currently stamping a western headstall (basket weave) out of some of Weaver's "Chahin" bridle leather. Despite seemingly not taking on much water for casing, it's stamping crisper than any skirting/tooling leather I've ever used.

Regular bridle, western bridle, and bridle are names associated with dryer leathers (less oil). English, even if not true english bridle has more oil in it than bridle. Harness has very high oil and tallow content. English and harness are not suitable for stamping. Reg. bridle will stamp somewhat but I always use skirting, and strap leather for fancy headstall and such because it has no oil added to it at the tannery. You can tool it up then oil it as needed...... Jeff

Can always depend on Leather Worker.net members to have the right answer! Thank you.

To resurrect an old thread, I have tooled W&C bridle leather successfully, because I'm new and didn't know you couldn't. But my question is if it will take an antique finish or not.