ledercraftco

Burnishing Edges Of Oil-Tanned Leather

I am working on a new design for a wallet and will be using 5-5.5oz oil-tanned leather. I have been having a hard time burnishing and finishing the edges. Any pointers? I have been using bees wax and a felt disk on a Dremel. Thanks!!

I am working on a new design for a wallet and will be using 5-5.5oz oil-tanned leather. I have been having a hard time burnishing and finishing the edges. Any pointers? I have been using bees wax and a felt disk on a Dremel. Thanks!!

I don't use that kind of leather but I would try wetting the edge and applying Fiebings Glycerine Bar Saddle Soap or Fiebings paste saddle soap and then burnish with a heavy piece of canvas......

Edited by hidepounder

I have had some decent results using my drill press and the burnisher I made to go into it on the highest speed with bees wax/mink oil. I get the edge so hot I am basically burning it.

You might try some "Quick Slik" from Sheridan Leather. I have not tried it on that kind of leather, but it is an amazing product.

Terry

Hi,

I find it depends on the tannage, but I have decent results with heating an single edger. If I want it slick, I stick the warm edger in beeswax repeatedly. I guess it would be more uniform if the wax was on the edge first...

Otherwise I use the gel tar that I use for other chrome leathers.