indypbear

Kilt belt hardware

I am looking for a hardware manufacturer/supplier for Kilt belt hardware in the US or Scotland. We need assorted buckles and the wire for the buckle bale to hook into on the other end of the belt. We appreciate any help.

John aka Indy

Edited by Johanna
removed email addy to prevent spam

You're a kiltmaker?

You're a kiltmaker?

Apologies for the delay in replying but I've been away from the computer (and TV, and phone, and work, and the mail, etc) in Scotland for a couple of weeks.

No, I'm a Police Officer who is trying really hard to be a self-employed leather worker.

I have made a few kilt belts and sporrans and the suppliers above were those which cropped-up as I was searching.

Gary

Unfortunately, those links aren't going to help the OP find what he's looking for, unless maybe contacting them will reveal something I couldn't find. While they are all retailers of kilt belt buckles, none of them come with the wire for hooking onto the buckle. The kilt belts come with that already attached and so it doesn't come with the buckles. I, too, would be interested in knowing where to get those as I'd like to get into kilt belt making myself.

Gary, I appreciate the links, but I'd be very interested in seeing the kilt belts and sporrans you made. That's what I'm looking to make myself.

Edited by 12stones

Sorry Indy,

I thought I'd got it 50% right, but maybe I read it wrong. Hope my help didn't produce more heat than light.

Where a wire loop was needed, I did make some from brass wire that I also used on for Sam Browne belts. Fortunately, while in the Army I always had a workshop handy to do the odd bit of wire bending and polishing.

I have a friendly mechanic about 200 yards down the road who is a useful supplier of various metal bits and pieces who is willing to do the odd bit of welding and braising for me and is very good at bending metal - not that this helps you but is one way of getting the things made if you're doing one-offs. Depending on the finish, I also have a contact who can silver or nickel plate small items if needed (his company makes bathroom taps).

12stones,

I have one belt and one sporran that I wear when the occasion arises, the rest adorn various waists and kilts around the world. Sorry I have no photos available for you at present. As I'm living in England at the moment there is little call for sporrans and kilt belts (as I live next to the Scottish border the English here are not very keen on Scottish things as there is a 2000+ year history of minor disagreements between them (Hadrian's Wall is about half a mile North of me and the Roman Road passes through my back garden). Those I have made were for Scottish officers when I was serving in the Army and weren't photographed at the time because I had no idea I would have a brain-storm and try being self-employed. As I produce any to order in the future, I shall photograph them and post them here.

The belts are just belts using whatever length formula suits you best. In the great tradition of British leatherwork, all of those I have made are fairly bland and not carved. Fortunately, most Army officers are conservative in dress so they were happy.

I have one template I used for most of the sporrans (these are not fancy or furry dress sporrans, just common-or-garden day sporrans) - I adjust the length and width to suit each customer and alter the gusset to suit (as well as the leather type and colour plus any rolled edges). The greatest adornment I added to any of them was a Regimental or Clan badge and, once, an embossed celtic design (which was what the customer wanted but I would not have given it house room). Closure was, variously, by magnetic clasp, Sam Browne stud, buckle or durable dot.

A couple of people provided old sporrans they wanted replaced so I just used the original as the pattern and made custom changes as the customer asked.

Brass or chrome-plated chain on the strap with clips, if required, was the customer's choice as was the strap buckle but I usually used a suitable half buckle (heel bar I believe you call them over there). I never made a pair of straps with clips on for the sporran to be worn from the belt that appear to be quite common now.

Fancy sporrans of the furry type usually use seal or otter skins and some, and a lot of the military, use horse-hair. Some use badger (and the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders used to have a badger's head incorporated in the officer's parade sporran which was rather macabre). The laws on the use of some skins over here are quite tight as some small furry things are protected species. I can't afford to carry a large stock of ready-made items so pricey sporrans don't sit on a shelf.

As I say, I'll post appropriate pictures here when they become available. When I find my camera, which is currently AWOL, I'll photograph the template and post it, if that would be of any help.

Gary

12stones,

As I say, I'll post appropriate pictures here when they become available. When I find my camera, which is currently AWOL, I'll photograph the template and post it, if that would be of any help.

Gary

Gary, posting the template would be a great help. And thanks for the tip on bending the wire, that would probably be better than trying to find a supplier. And definitely post any future pics that you have. Thanks for your help.

Edited by 12stones

bending that kind of wire isn't particularly difficult, or are you looking at it from a production standpoint?

I haven't used this one, but I have used similar.

Dick Blick Wire Bender

I am actually working on making a buckle to replace my wired kind . . . cuz I just don't like them very much.

Did you ever find a US source for those attachment loops?  I need just a few, and suppose I might try to make one if I can find appropriate wire. 

1 hour ago, Squilchuck said:

Did you ever find a US source for those attachment loops?  I need just a few, and suppose I might try to make one if I can find appropriate wire. 

In case it is still needed here is another wire bending jig.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=32012&cat=1,43456,43407

What kind of wire are you needing?

rick

There is one vendor I found that has Kilt Belt Dees with the "bump-out" on the end: www.abbeyengland.com  

Search on KILT BELT DEE 0080 BRASS 21/2" 65mm, item #C250AR.KILT BELT DEE 0080 BRASS  21/2"  65mm

The dimension is given as 2-1/2" but I think that is out to out, not belt width. Cost is 2.25 GBP each.

They do have a minimum purchase of 25GBP, but it appears that can be made up of multiple items. There are enough goodies there, including Sam Browne fixtures, sword hooks, tools, and so on, that you'll have no problem meeting that requirement.

This is the only vendor I could find - none in US, and one dude in London/Bahrain who wants $18 each in bulk of a dozen!

Shipping to US will be high, but This appears to be sole source.